McLaren will not loan Norris to rival team

Sep.11 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren will not loan Lando Norris to another F1 team.

Briton Norris, the 17-year-old star of European F3, is tipped for a bright future in F1 and already firmly under contract to McLaren.

But Brown has said McLaren is likely to place Norris in Formula 2 next year, rather than seriously consider him as a potential replacement for Fernando Alonso.

But as the standout F3 star, other F1 teams may be interested in offering Norris a 2018 seat.

“No team has made a request so far, and our current plan is to let him compete in Formula 2,” Brown is quoted by Speed Week.

“He’s definitely our star of the future, so I do not think we’re giving him to another team.

“I am convinced that he is fast enough to compete in formula one now, but we also have to ensure it’s not too soon for him and he gets enough experience,” he added.

Related News

  • 13/06/2018 McLaren would loan Norris to rival team Jun.13 (GMM) Zak Brown says he would loan Lando Norris to another formula one team for experience. Recently, Formula 2 championship leader Norris - a McLaren junior driver - was linked […]
  • 07/08/2017 McLaren wants same drivers in 2018 – Norris Aug.7 (GMM) Lando Norris has calmed speculation he could be about to burst into formula one. The 17-year-old Briton, who is a McLaren junior driver, staked a claim on future F1 […]
  • 06/02/2018 Lando Norris prepared to leave McLaren Feb.6 (GMM) Lando Norris says he is prepared to leave McLaren if the British team has no place for him within a year or so. This year, McLaren will line up with an unchanged driver […]
  • 09/04/2018 Brown denies McLaren juniors promised F1 debut Apr.9 (GMM) A McLaren junior driver has backtracked after saying Zak Brown has promised him he will move into F1 next year if he wins the Formula 2 title. Nyck de Vries had told a Dutch […]
  • 03/04/2018 McLaren promises juniors F1 debut Apr.3 (GMM) McLaren is tangling a tantalising carrot in front of its junior drivers in 2018. According to Dutchman Nick de Vries, McLaren executive Zak Brown has promised that if he or […]
  • 03/01/2017 McLaren denies Alonso-Le Mans report Jan.3 (GMM) McLaren has rubbished reports that Fernando Alonso will star as the British marque prepares to return to Le Mans. The Spanish website motoryracing.com said the information […]
  • 09/01/2018 Norris wants to learn from and beat Alonso in Daytona Jan.9 (GMM) New McLaren reserve Lando Norris says Daytona is the perfect opportunity to start learning from Fernando Alonso. This year, the new reigning F3 champion will travel the […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]
  • 11/06/2017 No McLaren Indycar team for now – Brown Jun.11 (GMM) Zak Brown has played down rumours McLaren could launch a full-time Indycar team. Fernando Alonso was recently competitive as he skipped Monaco to do the Indy 500, with a […]
  • 14/07/2017 Vandoorne ‘not worried’ about McLaren exit Jul.14 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he is not worried he might lose his McLaren seat at the end of the season. Although strong throughout his junior career, the Belgian rookie has […]