Sainz still waiting for news about future

Sep.13 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is still waiting for news about his future in F1.

Widespread reports say the Spaniard is definitely heading from Toro Rosso to the works Renault team for 2018, and maybe even from Malaysia next month to replace the point-less Jolyon Palmer.

But Sainz, 23, is confirming nothing.

“Maybe I have the same information as you,” he told Spanish radio Cadena Cope ahead of the Singapore grand prix.

“Already from June, after clarifying a number of things in a clear and direct conversation with them, I left my future in the hands of Red Bull.

“From then I have not done anything except wait and trust what they decide,” Sainz added.

He denied that his future is inextricably tied up with the McLaren-Honda split, as McLaren and Toro Rosso swap engine partners for 2018.

“It would seem to be good if (Fernando) Alonso goes with McLaren-Renault, but what McLaren and Renault do doesn’t affect me much,” said Sainz.

“I’m only thinking about my weekend in Singapore.”

Related News

  • 22/09/2017 Sainz unsure of early Renault debut Sep.22 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he still doesn't know which car he will be racing in Malaysia next week. The Toro Rosso driver is being loaned to Renault for 2018, but there are reports […]
  • 29/09/2017 Sainz to ‘finish season with Toro Rosso’ Sep.29 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is staying in his Toro Rosso seat for the rest of 2018. In the weeks before Malaysia, there were rumours the Spaniard would make his move to Renault […]
  • 20/03/2017 McLaren engine switch rumours hard to believe – Sainz Mar.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he cannot imagine McLaren deciding to dump Honda and switch to customer Mercedes engine power in the near future. Last week, the beleaguered British team […]
  • 26/08/2016 Sainz impressed with McLaren progress Aug.26 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he has been impressed with the progress being made by McLaren-Honda. After a shocking 2015, the new Anglo-Japanese collaboration has been making gradual […]
  • 18/06/2015 Alonso expected to struggle in 2015 – Sainz Jun.18 (GMM) Fernando Alonso expected to struggle when he made the switch from Ferrari to McLaren-Honda for 2015. That is the claim of fellow Spaniard Carlos Sainz, the world rally […]
  • 03/09/2015 Alonso ‘unhappy’ but ‘motivated’ – Sainz Sep.3 (GMM) Carlos Sainz, the Spanish rookie who claims Fernando Alonso as a mentor, says the McLaren driver and double world champion is "unhappy" in 2016. Officially, Alonso has been […]
  • 12/09/2017 McLaren-Honda saga announcements to begin Sep.12 (GMM) A spate of announcements regarding the McLaren-Honda-Toro Rosso-Renault saga is set to begin. Reports over the weekend suggested the meat of the entire complex saga is now […]
  • 10/10/2016 Red Bull blocked Renault move for Sainz – father Oct.10 (GMM) Red Bull blocked Carlos Sainz's move to Renault for 2017, according to the Spanish driver's well-known father. Sainz senior, a world rally champion, appeared on Spanish […]
  • 18/09/2017 Sainz unsure if Singapore was last Toro Rosso race Sep.18 (GMM) Carlos Sainz left Singapore on Monday wondering if it had been his last race for Toro Rosso. The Spaniard made his F1 debut for the junior Red Bull team in 2015, but will be […]
  • 17/09/2017 Palmer read Renault axe story on internet Sep.17 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer says he learned about losing his seat at Renault from the internet. "I knew it when I read it on the internet," Speed Week quotes the Briton as saying. "So […]