Sainz unsure of early Renault debut

Sep.22 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he still doesn’t know which car he will be racing in Malaysia next week.

The Toro Rosso driver is being loaned to Renault for 2018, but there are reports he will kick off that adventure early by replacing Jolyon Palmer as soon as Sepang.

Sainz, 23, told Spanish radio Onda Cero: “Nobody has told me what I am doing yet.”

But he did confirm reports his one-year loan to Renault only includes the possibility of a return to Red Bull’s senior team in 2019.

“I am a driver being loaned to another team that can be strong from next season,” said Sainz.

“If I return, it would be for the first (Red Bull) team,” he said. “For me this is a vindication.”

Asked if he feels he is being groomed for a world championship tilt, Sainz answered: “I think if I had a Mercedes or Ferrari I could be fighting for the world championship.

“Personally I see it more for 2020. I think the third title for Fernando Alonso is likely to arrive sooner than the first for Carlos Sainz,” he added.

Related News

  • 18/09/2017 Sainz unsure if Singapore was last Toro Rosso race Sep.18 (GMM) Carlos Sainz left Singapore on Monday wondering if it had been his last race for Toro Rosso. The Spaniard made his F1 debut for the junior Red Bull team in 2015, but will be […]
  • 29/09/2017 Sainz to ‘finish season with Toro Rosso’ Sep.29 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is staying in his Toro Rosso seat for the rest of 2018. In the weeks before Malaysia, there were rumours the Spaniard would make his move to Renault […]
  • 13/09/2017 Sainz still waiting for news about future Sep.13 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is still waiting for news about his future in F1. Widespread reports say the Spaniard is definitely heading from Toro Rosso to the works Renault team […]
  • 16/09/2017 Sainz-Renault switch for Malaysia ‘possible’ – Marko Sep.16 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko has admitted Carlos Sainz might start his new Renault adventure as soon as the next race in Malaysia. That is despite the fact the rumour was shot down by […]
  • 17/09/2017 Palmer read Renault axe story on internet Sep.17 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer says he learned about losing his seat at Renault from the internet. "I knew it when I read it on the internet," Speed Week quotes the Briton as saying. "So […]
  • 01/02/2017 Sainz plays down podium hopes for 2017 Feb.1 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has played down hopes he might record his first F1 podium this year. The young Spaniard was so impressive in 2016 - his second season with Toro Rosso - that he […]
  • 23/01/2017 Sainz snr says Red Bull ‘not bad guys’ Jan.23 (GMM) Carlos Sainz's father has hit back at any claims Red Bull are "the bad guys". The two-time rally champion's namesake and 22-year-old son had a great 2016 season, but Sainz […]
  • 10/10/2016 Red Bull blocked Renault move for Sainz – father Oct.10 (GMM) Red Bull blocked Carlos Sainz's move to Renault for 2017, according to the Spanish driver's well-known father. Sainz senior, a world rally champion, appeared on Spanish […]
  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 25/09/2017 Palmer set to keep Renault seat in 2017 Sep.25 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer looks set to keep his race seat at Renault for the rest of the 2018 season. Sources report that the British driver and his father Jonathan turned down the […]