Alonso not surprised with Sainz pace

Oct.22 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is “not surprised” his countryman and friend Carlos Sainz is straight on the pace at Renault.

Sainz switched from Toro Rosso to the French works team after the Japanese grand prix, and on his first attempt outqualified his new teammate Nico Hulkenberg on Saturday.

In fact, Sainz is one position higher on the Austin grid than Alonso, his Spanish compatriot and mentor.

“That Carlos performed very well is not a surprise,” Alonso told the Spanish broadcaster Movistar.

“Nothing to say,” he added.

“We knew Carlos was going to be good. Next year he will have it more difficult because McLaren will be ahead, but he should enjoy this moment,” Alonso smiled.

Indeed, Sainz and Alonso, who drives for McLaren, will each have a Renault power unit in 2018.

Alonso also responded to rumours his new McLaren contract allows him to do non-F1 races, like the Daytona endurance sports car race next January.

“Maybe the next race I will do in the US will be the 24 hours of Daytona,” he confirmed.

“The Indy 500 was one of the best races of my life so I’d like to do more races in America and one could be in January. That would be fine,” Alonso added.

Alonso’s McLaren boss Zak Brown runs a Daytona team, United Autosports.

Related News

  • 11/10/2017 McLaren could let Alonso race at Daytona Oct.11 (GMM) McLaren could let Fernando Alonso contest the famous Daytona 24 hour endurance sports car race early next year. It is believed the British team and the Spanish driver are […]
  • 20/10/2017 Alonso, McLaren deny contract for one year only Oct.21 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied his new McLaren contract is for one year only. The Spaniard and the British team announced in Austin that the new deal "underlines Fernando's […]
  • 08/11/2017 Toyota not denying Alonso seat fitting Nov.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso looks to be shaping up for a Le Mans foray in 2018. This year, the Spaniard tackled the Indy 500, which along with Le Mans and the Monaco grand prix is part […]
  • 20/07/2015 Alonso not guilty of ‘bad decisions’ – Sainz Jul.20 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has defended his countryman and mentor Fernando Alonso, amid claims 'bad decisions' have marred the Spaniard's F1 career. Like many of his peers, rookie Sainz […]
  • 24/10/2017 Sainz made Kvyat look ‘not good enough’ – Montoya Oct.24 (GMM) Carlos Sainz received widespread praise for his impressive Renault debut in Austin. As he switched from Toro Rosso to start his new works Renault adventure early, the […]
  • 27/10/2017 Alonso not denying Daytona could be Le Mans prelude Oct.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has not denied that his prototype sports car debut next January could be a precursor to also racing at Le Mans in 2018. The Spaniard will drive the LMP2 […]
  • 25/11/2017 Alonso denies losing F1 focus Nov.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied he is spreading himself too thin across other disciplines. Last year, Alonso did the Indy 500, next year Daytona and Le Mans are on the cards, he […]
  • 12/09/2017 McLaren-Honda saga announcements to begin Sep.12 (GMM) A spate of announcements regarding the McLaren-Honda-Toro Rosso-Renault saga is set to begin. Reports over the weekend suggested the meat of the entire complex saga is now […]
  • 27/01/2016 Sainz tips ‘better’ season for Alonso Jan.27 (GMM) Carlos Sainz has tipped his countryman and mentor Fernando Alonso to have a "better" season with McLaren-Honda. "I think that after 2015 it can only go better for them," […]
  • 17/10/2017 Sponsor to switch F1 teams with Sainz Oct.17 (GMM) A sponsor looks set to follow Carlos Sainz from Toro Rosso to Renault. This weekend in Austin will mark the start of Sainz's new assignment at the French works team, ahead […]