Oct.13 (GMM) The F1 world is still waiting to hear if Fernando Alonso will still be on the grid in 2018.
Following the McLaren-Honda split, it is expected the Spaniard will stay at the newly Renault-powered British team next year.
But Alonso’s self-imposed September contract deadline has long expired.
Spain’s El Mundo Deportivo quotes him as saying: “There is still no decision. So we’ll see.
“I continue to have all the options open.”
The newspaper said Alonso, who did the Indy 500 this year and has been linked with both Le Mans and the Daytona 24 hour race for 2018, is talking about “other categories” still being an option.
“As I have said several times, one of my goals is to be the best driver in the world, the most complete in the world, and for that I still believe you have to win in other categories too and especially the ‘triple crown’.
“That is one of my goals,” Alonso, 36, added.
“Sometimes we focus on F1 because it is the best competition in the world of maximum technology,” he continued.
“But there are other categories with other cars – with less technology – that require different driving and different skills and it is a major challenge for someone who specialises in something else,” Alonso said.
However, he played down any claims a full-time switch to Indycar is on the cards.
“The whole season at Indycar I do not have in my mind in the short term,” said Alonso. “But the 500 miles, after my experience of this year, is attractive.
“I look at it for the future, but I do not know when that will be.”
Alonso, a two-time F1 champion who has failed to add a third title to his tally in over a decade, also admitted that his motivation has changed over the years.
“It’s a different motivation,” he explained.
“When you start you have dreams of showing your talent to the world and having success in F1,” said Alonso.
“Now, I remain motivated because there is expectation whenever you get into the car. I have responsibility for the results of the team,” he said.
11/10/2017 McLaren could let Alonso race at Daytona Oct.11 (GMM) McLaren could let Fernando Alonso contest the famous Daytona 24 hour endurance sports car race early next year. It is believed the British team and the Spanish driver are […]
07/01/2018 Alonso says third title is ‘first priority’ Jan.7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso may have more plans to race outside of F1, but he insists that his role with McLaren-Renault remains his main focus. Last year, the 36-year-old stunned the […]
17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race. "In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
09/02/2018 Piquet tips Alonso to be Le Mans champion Feb.9 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's former teammate thinks the Spaniard will win Le Mans this year. Last year Alonso came close to winning the Indy 500, and this year he will try his hand at […]
25/01/2018 Montoya backs Alonso’s ‘triple crown’ bid Jan.25 (GMM) Juan Pablo Montoya has applauded Fernando Alonso's efforts to secure motor racing's elusive 'triple crown'. Last year, Alonso tried to add an Indy 500 win to his Monaco […]
20/10/2017 Alonso, McLaren deny contract for one year only Oct.21 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied his new McLaren contract is for one year only. The Spaniard and the British team announced in Austin that the new deal "underlines Fernando's […]
08/11/2017 Toyota not denying Alonso seat fitting Nov.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso looks to be shaping up for a Le Mans foray in 2018. This year, the Spaniard tackled the Indy 500, which along with Le Mans and the Monaco grand prix is part […]
22/12/2017 No Daytona or Le Mans for Magnussen in 2018 Dec.22 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen will contest neither the Daytona or Le Mans sports car races next year. We had reported that the Haas driver was in talks about taking part in the Daytona 24 […]
15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]
26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]