Alonso to blame for bad career choices – Rosberg

Oct.10 (GMM) Only Fernando Alonso is to blame for the Spaniard’s failure to add another title to his tally in over a decade.

That is the view of the reigning world champion Nico Rosberg, who came out of retirement to appear as a pundit for British television at Suzuka last weekend.

When asked by Spain’s AS newspaper to comment on Alonso’s “bad luck” since winning his second title for Renault in 2005, Rosberg said: “It was not bad luck.

“It’s not bad luck when you choose the wrong teams to be at, because that’s all part of being a top driver.

“You can be the best driver in the world, but you won’t win in a bad car,” the German added.

So when asked if Alonso is making the right choice by staying with McLaren next year, Rosberg answered: “It’s his only option.”

Told however that Alonso has hinted at a move to Le Mans or Indycar, Rosberg said: “Yes, but that’s not formula one — and formula one is the maximum.”

Related News

  • 11/05/2018 McLaren unveils radical new nose in Spain May 11 (GMM) McLaren unveiled a radical new nose for its 2018 car in Barcelona. It follows a disappointing start to the season for the British team, despite the switch from Honda to […]
  • 08/06/2018 Alonso not sure about next racing step Jun.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he is not finished with formula one -- even though he admits he is not sure what will happen next. Next weekend, the Spaniard will race at Le Mans, amid […]
  • 11/06/2018 No top team wants Alonso – Rosberg Jun.11 (GMM) Nico Rosberg thinks Fernando Alonso's winning days in formula one are over. In Montreal, Spaniard Alonso passed the ultra-rare 300 grand prix mark, but next weekend he will […]
  • 16/06/2017 Alonso ‘should leave’ if not enjoying F1 – Massa Jun.16 (GMM) If Fernando Alonso keeps complaining, the Spaniard should consider leaving formula one. That is the view of his former teammate Felipe Massa, as Alonso reaches a fork in the […]
  • 28/05/2017 Renault ‘on track’ to join top F1 teams May 28 (GMM) Renault is on track as it pushes towards the top in formula one. The French carmaker returned to full works status in F1 last year. But as former team champion Fernando […]
  • 02/06/2017 Alonso ‘wasting time’ at McLaren – Andretti Jun.2 (GMM) Motor racing legend Mario Andretti says Fernando Alonso is "wasting" his time at McLaren-Honda. Last weekend, the Spaniard skipped Monaco in order to tackle the fabled Indy […]
  • 10/06/2018 Alonso ‘will drive a McLaren’ in 2019 – Brown Jun.10 (GMM) Former F1 driver Sebastien Buemi thinks Fernando Alonso's next move could be to Formula E. Alonso passes the 300 grand prix mark in Canada this weekend, but next weekend he […]
  • 27/11/2016 Both Mercedes drivers deserve title – Alonso Nov.27 (GMM) Both Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg would deserve the world championship if they succeed on Sunday. That is the opinion of Fernando Alonso, when asked by Spain's AS […]
  • 17/10/2017 McLaren Indycar team ‘years’ away – Brown Oct.17 (GMM) "Years" will pass before McLaren fields a team in the full Indycar season. That is the view of the British team's executive Zak Brown. This year, McLaren paired with […]
  • 12/06/2017 Alonso not ruling out 2018 Indycar switch Jun.12 (GMM) Fernando Alonso is no longer ruling out quitting F1 at the end of the year. Earlier, the Spaniard said that despite the difficulty of his last three seasons with […]