McLaren could let Alonso race at Daytona

Oct.11 (GMM) McLaren could let Fernando Alonso contest the famous Daytona 24 hour endurance sports car race early next year.

It is believed the British team and the Spanish driver are discussing the fine details of their F1 contract for 2018.

Alonso skipped Monaco to contest the Indy 500 this year, but he has expressed interest in trying his hand at Le Mans in 2018.

Referring to Monaco, Indy and Le Mans, Alonso now refers regularly to his ambition to secure the motor racing ‘triple crown’.

“The priority is formula one,” he said, “with triple crown in the background. But there are many possibilities to do a fantastic 2018.”

France’s Auto Hebdo reports that Alonso, 36, may be allowed to try to win the Daytona 24 hour race early next year.

“The race has a great history and it is held in January, when the F1 season has not begun,” a report in the Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo read.

A team owned by McLaren executive Zak Brown, United Autosports, races at Daytona.

Related News

  • 13/10/2017 Alonso says still ‘no decision’ over F1 future Oct.13 (GMM) The F1 world is still waiting to hear if Fernando Alonso will still be on the grid in 2018. Following the McLaren-Honda split, it is expected the Spaniard will stay at the […]
  • 17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race. "In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
  • 07/01/2018 Alonso says third title is ‘first priority’ Jan.7 (GMM) Fernando Alonso may have more plans to race outside of F1, but he insists that his role with McLaren-Renault remains his main focus. Last year, the 36-year-old stunned the […]
  • 08/11/2017 Toyota not denying Alonso seat fitting Nov.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso looks to be shaping up for a Le Mans foray in 2018. This year, the Spaniard tackled the Indy 500, which along with Le Mans and the Monaco grand prix is part […]
  • 26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
  • 15/05/2018 McLaren plans mid-season Alonso talks May 15 (GMM) McLaren will open talks with Fernando Alonso about 2019 around the middle of the season. That is the news from team executive Zak Brown, acknowledging the rumours that the […]
  • 19/04/2017 No room at Porsche for Alonso – boss Apr.19 (GMM) Porsche has played down claims it will host Fernando Alonso's bid for 2018 Le Mans victory. The Spaniard is tackling next month's Indy 500, as part of his stated push to win […]
  • 27/10/2017 Alonso not denying Daytona could be Le Mans prelude Oct.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has not denied that his prototype sports car debut next January could be a precursor to also racing at Le Mans in 2018. The Spaniard will drive the LMP2 […]
  • 25/11/2017 Alonso denies losing F1 focus Nov.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied he is spreading himself too thin across other disciplines. Last year, Alonso did the Indy 500, next year Daytona and Le Mans are on the cards, he […]
  • 20/02/2018 Alonso defends ‘impossible’ 2018 schedule Feb.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he has no concerns about being able to cope with an unprecedentedly busy racing programme in 2018. Alongside F1's longest-ever season of 21 races, the […]