2018 Hartley deal not set in stone

Nov.13 (GMM) A 2018 deal to race for Toro Rosso is not yet set in stone for Brendon Hartley.

One media source reported from Brazil that while Pierre Gasly is definitely set to drive for the junior Red Bull team next year, a similar deal for New Zealander and sports car champion Hartley is not quite done.

However, Toro Rosso team boss Franz Tost admits: “There is a high possibility that this will be the driver lineup for 2018.”

To put that deal beyond doubt, Hartley’s father Bryan is set to travel to Abu Dhabi for the 2017 F1 finale in two weeks.

“Once we all find out what’s going on and there’s something to be announced, then there will be an official announcement,” Hartley snr told the New Zealand media source Stuff.

Related News

  • 28/10/2017 Gasly, Hartley not guaranteed 2018 seats Oct.28 (GMM) Toro Rosso looks set to head into the 2018 season with the driver lineup seen at this weekend's Mexican grand prix. For the first time in Mexico, Pierre Gasly is lining up […]
  • 27/02/2018 McLaren dumping Honda was ‘mistake’ – Hartley Feb.27 (GMM) Brendon Hartley thinks McLaren dumping Honda at the end of last year was "a mistake". "I think they've made a mistake," the New Zealander told Marca sports newspaper on […]
  • 01/03/2018 Honda ‘perfect’ at Toro Rosso so far – Hartley Mar.1 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says there is no sign of the sort of three-year horror that McLaren endured with Honda so far in 2018. With McLaren and Honda divorcing, the Japanese supplier […]
  • 13/10/2017 ‘Mentor’ tips Hartley to accept Toro Rosso seat Oct.13 (GMM) New Zealander Brendon Hartley is expected to be drafted into Toro Rosso's lineup for a one-off appearance next weekend in Austin. We reported on Tuesday this week that, at […]
  • 17/10/2017 Kvyat’s F1 return could be one-off – rumour Oct.17 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat's F1 return this weekend could be fleeting. The Russian was recently stepped down by Toro Rosso team owner Red Bull, making way for the debut of Frenchman […]
  • 20/11/2017 Hartley had 2018 contract for ‘weeks’ Nov.20 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says he has known for "several weeks" that he will be driving for Toro Rosso next year. Earlier, Red Bull, Toro Rosso and the New Zealander insisted they did […]
  • 19/10/2017 Hartley prepares for ‘big step’ in Austin Oct.19 (GMM) Brendon Hartley has admitted getting up to speed straight away in Austin will be difficult. Toro Rosso owner Red Bull has signed the New Zealander and Le Mans winner to […]
  • 24/05/2018 Hartley ‘surprised’ by Toro Rosso axe rumours May 24 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says rumours of his impending F1 demise "surprised" him. After Barcelona, rumours started doing the rounds that Toro Rosso owner Red Bull was considering […]
  • 02/05/2018 Le Mans will make Alonso ‘tired’ – Hartley May 2 (GMM) Brendon Hartley is expecting Fernando Alonso to be "pretty tired" as his split duties between F1 and Le Mans racing kick off. Spaniard Alonso is already at Spa Francorchamps, […]
  • 20/10/2017 Hartley not ruling out longer F1 adventure Oct.20 (GMM) Brendon Hartley says his future is unclear beyond Sunday's US grand prix. The New Zealander, who last tested an F1 car for Mercedes in 2012, has been drafted into Toro […]