Alonso denies losing F1 focus

Nov.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied he is spreading himself too thin across other disciplines.

Last year, Alonso did the Indy 500, next year Daytona and Le Mans are on the cards, he has a kart track back in Spain, and his new fashion brand Kimoa has now become a multi-year McLaren sponsor.

The 36-year-old denies he is spreading his focus too thin.

“No. The key is the concentration when you lower your visor,” he is quoted by Marca sports newspaper.

“In the car you always return to your environment and can concentrate without problems.”

McLaren boss Zak Brown also dismissed the notion that Alonso is slowly withdrawing his focus from F1.

“We have the basis for a long-term agreement,” he told AS newspaper. “Next year will not be his last year, for sure.

“I would like Fernando to finish his career with McLaren and then I think he will keep driving.

“There are some drivers like Nico Rosberg who simply stop. I think for Lewis it will be the same.

“But I think Fernando is one of those rare drivers like Mario Andretti who will want to race in other categories,” Brown explained.

“He may be 36, but his body is only 22. I think he has a lot of time to keep driving.”

Related News

  • 08/11/2017 Toyota not denying Alonso seat fitting Nov.8 (GMM) Fernando Alonso looks to be shaping up for a Le Mans foray in 2018. This year, the Spaniard tackled the Indy 500, which along with Le Mans and the Monaco grand prix is part […]
  • 20/10/2017 Alonso, McLaren deny contract for one year only Oct.21 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has denied his new McLaren contract is for one year only. The Spaniard and the British team announced in Austin that the new deal "underlines Fernando's […]
  • 17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race. "In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
  • 11/10/2017 McLaren could let Alonso race at Daytona Oct.11 (GMM) McLaren could let Fernando Alonso contest the famous Daytona 24 hour endurance sports car race early next year. It is believed the British team and the Spanish driver are […]
  • 27/10/2017 Alonso not denying Daytona could be Le Mans prelude Oct.27 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has not denied that his prototype sports car debut next January could be a precursor to also racing at Le Mans in 2018. The Spaniard will drive the LMP2 […]
  • 13/10/2017 Alonso says still ‘no decision’ over F1 future Oct.13 (GMM) The F1 world is still waiting to hear if Fernando Alonso will still be on the grid in 2018. Following the McLaren-Honda split, it is expected the Spaniard will stay at the […]
  • 26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar. The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]
  • 25/04/2017 Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future Apr.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and McLaren are looking to return to the Indy 500 in the future. Recently, the British team shocked the racing world by announcing that together with the […]
  • 09/08/2017 McLaren denies Alonso to skip Singapore Aug.9 (GMM) McLaren executive Zak Brown has slammed suggestions Fernando Alonso may miss another grand prix this year. In May, the Spaniard sat out Monaco in order to contest the fabled […]
  • 25/05/2017 Alonso at Indy doesn’t hurt F1 – Steiner May 25 (GMM) Gunther Steiner has played down claims Fernando Alonso's Indy 500 foray this weekend hurts formula one. F1 chief executive Chase Carey has said it would be better if the […]