Baku only major driver mistake – Vettel

Nov.11 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel says his biggest mistake during his failed 2017 title bid was Baku.

His rival Lewis Hamilton wrapped up the championship two weeks ago in Mexico, and Ferrari’s Vettel admits it was “very” disappointing.

But he told La Gazzetta dello Sport: “It’s already time to turn the page.

“There are still two races where we will think about 2018. And there is still the second place (battle with Valtteri Bottas) to defend and 50 points still available,” he added.

After the disappointing championship defeat, Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne said some of the reason was car reliability, and another part was due to driver errors.

Vettel, referring to when he controversially crashed into Lewis Hamilton, responded: “I was really wrong only in Baku. The rest of the season went well enough.”

Related News

  • 04/09/2018 Vettel mistakes to cost Ferrari title – press Sep.4 (GMM) The Italian press has questioned Sebastian Vettel's ability to win the 2018 world championship for Ferrari. The German has made some mistakes so far this year, including on […]
  • 19/09/2017 Title not lost for Vettel yet – Trulli Sep.19 (GMM) Jarno Trulli says it is still possible that Sebastian Vettel will win the 2017 title. That is despite the fact the partisan Italian press is livid that, with the first […]
  • 08/11/2016 Ferrari stays on ‘road to recovery’ – Marchionne Nov.8 (GMM) Ferrari is determined to improve for 2017, according to president Sergio Marchionne. It has been a difficult season for the fabled Scuderia, with its failed title bid summed […]
  • 27/03/2018 Italian press says 2018 can be Ferrari’s year Mar.27 (GMM) Ferrari may not have the best car, but it is in the running for the 2018 world championship. That is the view of the Italian press after the Melbourne season […]
  • 18/09/2018 Zanardi thinks Vettel’s title charge over Sep.18 (GMM) Alex Zanardi has joined the Italian media in declaring Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari's 2018 championship hopes essentially over. The former F1 and Indycar driver said that […]
  • 12/12/2017 Vettel takes blame for ‘unnecessary’ Baku Dec.12 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has admitted Baku was "the worst moment" in his failed 2017 championship challenge. While Ferrari's end of season unreliability was arguably more to blame, […]
  • 28/09/2017 Vettel still believes he can beat Hamilton Sep.28 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel does not think his championship hopes ended in Singapore. The German was widely criticised for causing the first lap crash that ultimately left him 28 […]
  • 28/02/2017 Italy slams Ferrari for Barcelona ‘news blackout’ Feb.28 (GMM) Italian media sources have slammed Ferrari for turning its low-profile preseason strategy into a total blanket of silence. After president Sergio Marchionne admitted his […]
  • 10/04/2017 Ferrari criticises Raikkonen after China Apr.10 (GMM) Ferrari has openly criticised Kimi Raikkonen after Sunday's Chinese grand prix. The Italian marque was not alone. The influential sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport said […]
  • 24/08/2017 Alesi tips Vettel to sign next Ferrari contract Aug.24 (GMM) The decision to keep Kimi Raikkonen is a move by Ferrari to retain its harmonious team "atmosphere". That is the view of former Ferrari driver Jean Alesi, whose own comments […]