F1 owner says Brazil security ‘not our responsibility’

Nov.14 (GMM) F1 has hit the ball into the court of the race organisers, after a spate of violent incidents surrounding the Brazilian grand prix.

Multiple teams suffered armed or violent robbery attempts during the race weekend as they travelled from Interlagos to hotels.

And now Pirelli has called off a planned post-race tyre test with McLaren, after a van containing staff of the F1 supplier became the latest victim of the notorious Sao Paulo crime.

The situation has triggered speculation F1 might not return to Interlagos, amid rumours Rio de Janeiro or Florianopolis might be alternative grand prix venues.

F1 owner Liberty Media has been late to officially respond to the Sao Paulo violence, but a spokesperson now insists that disappointment “is not a strong enough word”.

The sport is putting the ball in race organisers’ court, making clear it requires a strong response.

“It is not our responsibility,” the spokesperson insisted.

“We are just the commercial rights holder. We sell those rights to the local promoter and security within the circuit is their responsibility.

“We have our own security team that travels with us and we are actively involved, but we cannot be experts in every city we go to.

“We have a year between now and the next race to get it sorted, and we would be extremely disappointed if things have not been looked at,” the spokesperson added.

Related News

  • 10/11/2016 No extra security for Ecclestone in Brazil Nov.10 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone insists he has no fear for his personal security ahead of this weekend's Brazilian grand prix. Earlier this year, the mother of the F1 supremo's Brazilian […]
  • 16/10/2017 Mayor says Pirelli wants to buy Interlagos Oct.16 (GMM) Pirelli could be looking to buy the Brazilian grand prix venue at Interlagos. That is the claim of the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, following a visit to […]
  • 21/08/2015 Button tones down social media after robbery Aug.21 (GMM) Jenson Button has admitted he has ramped up his personal security in the wake of a recent robbery incident. The McLaren driver confirmed he was shaken after burglars broke […]
  • 30/10/2016 Promoter, mayor say Interlagos on track for 2017 Oct.30 (GMM) Race organisers insist the Brazilian grand prix remains on track for the future. Earlier, F1 authorities cast a shadow over the race by giving the Interlagos round mere […]
  • 27/06/2017 Rio keen on Brazil GP switch – promoter Jun.27 (GMM) Brazilian grand prix promoter Tamas Rohonyi has admitted Rio de Janeiro is interested in hosting the country's F1 race. Currently, Brazil's race is held at Interlagos, but […]
  • 13/11/2017 Sao Paulo mayor plays down F1 violence Nov.13 (GMM) Sao Paulo mayor Joao Doria has played down the violence that marred this year's Brazilian grand prix. After robbery attacks on Mercedes, Williams and FIA staff earlier at […]
  • 11/03/2015 Sauber appeals van der Garde ruling Mar.11 (GMM) Sauber is appealing a Melbourne court's ruling that Giedo van der Garde should race for the Swiss team this weekend. Earlier on Wednesday, a supreme court judge sided with […]
  • 14/11/2016 Federal gov’t backs Brazil GP future Nov.14 (GMM) The federal government has vowed to help Brazil secure its place on the F1 calendar. Amid the country's economic recession, and delayed upgrade works at the Interlagos […]
  • 17/03/2015 EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga. The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers […]