Honda switch should have Toro Rosso ‘worried’ – Alonso

Nov.13 (GMM) Toro Rosso should be “seriously worried” about its forthcoming future with Honda power.

Actually, boss Franz Tost said he is confident Honda will sort out its problems over the winter and have a strong power unit to supply to the team next year.

And Tost also seems keen to put the Renault era behind him, given the scale of his dispute with Cyril Abiteboul in Brazil.

Some even fear Renault will withhold engines from Toro Rosso in Abu Dhabi, but advisor Alain Prost insisted: “Of course Toro Rosso will have engines from us in Abu Dhabi.”

He also rejected Tost’s insinuation that Renault might be deliberately sabotaging the equipment supplied to Toro Rosso.

“Renault has been involved in formula one for so many years, and we have always given everyone the same opportunities,” he is quoted by Speed Week.

“We would never play dirty to win a place in the world championship.”

As for Toro Rosso’s Honda deal for 2018, though, Alonso thinks the team should be “seriously worried”.

The Spaniard again enthused about his McLaren chassis at Interlagos, but said the power deficit on the straight lines was nothing short of shocking.

“The lack of power should be worrying for Toro Rosso next year,” he said.

As for whether he is worried about switching to Renault, however, given the French marque’s reliability problems of late, Alonso has no doubts.

“Renault is the best engine manufacturer in formula one of the last 15 years,” he insisted. “They won more titles than anyone, so I’m not worried at all.”

Related News

  • 12/11/2017 Red Bull tries to calm Toro Rosso-Renault row Nov.12 (GMM) Red Bull has stepped in to calm a spiralling dispute between its junior F1 team Toro Rosso and mutual engine supplier Renault. Franz Tost reacted furiously in Brazil when […]
  • 07/11/2017 Toro Rosso not worried about Honda switch Nov.7 (GMM) Franz Tost says he is looking forward to Toro Rosso's switch to works Honda power for 2018. McLaren has dumped the Japanese engine manufacturer after a failed three-year […]
  • 29/09/2017 Sainz to ‘finish season with Toro Rosso’ Sep.29 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is staying in his Toro Rosso seat for the rest of 2018. In the weeks before Malaysia, there were rumours the Spaniard would make his move to Renault […]
  • 11/11/2017 Toro Rosso may miss Abu Dhabi – report Nov.11 (GMM) Toro Rosso may have to sit out the 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi. Germany's Auto Motor und Sports reports that as the second Red Bull team hits regular problems with its […]
  • 23/06/2017 Renault has upgrade in Baku – Ricciardo Jun.23 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo has revealed that Renault has taken improvements for its 2017 power unit to Baku. The news comes despite Renault chief Cyril Abiteboul saying recently that […]
  • 14/05/2015 Toro Rosso plays down Renault team takeover May 14 (GMM) Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost has played down the chances of a team takeover by Renault. Earlier this year, at the height of Red Bull's public spat with the French carmaker, […]
  • 22/09/2015 Ferrari should give engines to Red Bull – Fiorio Sep.22 (GMM) Cesare Fiorio, the former Ferrari team boss, says that if he was still running the Maranello marque, he would supply engines to Red Bull. As it is splitting with Renault, […]
  • 02/09/2017 McLaren meets Renault chiefs at Monza Sep.2 (GMM) A meeting at Monza could have decided the fate of the McLaren-Honda relationship. Ahead of the Italian grand prix, Renault chiefs Alain Prost and Cyril Abiteboul were spotted […]
  • 01/06/2015 Briatore says Alonso under ‘no pressure’ Jun.1 (GMM) Flavio Briatore has scoffed at claims Fernando Alonso is feeling the "pressure" of his move to McLaren-Honda. Undoubtedly, the trajectory of the Spaniard's F1 career has been […]
  • 23/05/2015 Renault, Red Bull exit still ‘possible’ – Prost May 23 (GMM) Speculation about Renault's future in formula one continues to swirl around the paddock. Earlier in 2015, at the height of partner Red Bull's criticism and its performance […]