Magnussen tunes out F1 rumours

Nov.14 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he no longer pays attention to F1 rumours.

In recent days, weeks and months, the Danish driver has been called the ‘bad boy’ of F1.

And now Haas is reportedly under pressure from its technical partner Ferrari to replace him with Antonio Giovinazzi for 2018, notwithstanding Magnussen’s firm contract.

Magnussen, though, says he has tuned out the rumours.

“One thing I stopped a while ago is looking at social media,” the 25-year-old told Ekstra Bladet newspaper.

“It has helped a lot. I don’t care what people say about me. If someone says something negative, journalists tell me anyway but I’m not actually bothered.

“Of course, it’s not my goal to be unpopular, but to get results sometimes you have to put your elbows out a bit.”

Magnussen is referring to a spate of complaints from rival drivers about his aggressive driving tactics.

“I don’t want to be the most popular among the other drivers,” he insisted. “What matters to me is the results and what the stewards say.

“And this year I’ve only got one penalty because of my driving, and that means I’m not so bad.

“In the paddock I have friends, but not among the drivers. But it would never work anyway, so I don’t mind,” Magnussen added.

Related News

  • 05/06/2017 Magnussen sitting out sessions due to contract Jun.5 (GMM) Contractual details explain why Kevin Magnussen will sit out so many Friday practice sessions in the second half of 2017. With Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi set for […]
  • 02/10/2017 Boss defends ‘bad boy’ Magnussen Oct.2 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen's boss has defended the under-fire Danish driver. In Hungary, Haas driver Magnussen famously told Nico Hulkenberg to "suck my b-lls", after the German called […]
  • 19/07/2017 Haas has ‘control’ of driver decision – Steiner Jul.19 (GMM) Haas boss Gunther Steiner said he remains in control of the American team's driver decision for 2018. Currently, Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen drive for the […]
  • 27/05/2017 Magnussen not worried over court date May 27 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen sounds unconcerned about the prospect of heading to court next week. Recently, we reported that the Haas driver's ousted former manager Dorte Riis Madsen is […]
  • 19/01/2017 Magnussen ‘disappointed’ with Renault criticism Jan.19 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he was "disappointed" to hear about his former Renault boss Cyril Abiteboul's recent parting shot. Last week, as the Danish driver heads to Haas for […]
  • 04/02/2016 F1 sponsor hails Magnussen’s return Feb.4 (GMM) A Danish businessman has hailed Kevin Magnussen's return to F1. In 2014, the Danish bank Saxo Bank entered F1 as a sponsor with Lotus. Now, Danish driver Kevin Magnussen has […]
  • 27/11/2016 Vasseur admits ‘battles’ with departing Magnussen Nov.27 (GMM) Renault team boss Frederic Vasseur says he does not rule out working with Kevin Magnussen again. Actually, the Danish driver is leaving the French works team after […]
  • 16/09/2016 Magnussen hints power struggle behind Renault driver delay Sep.16 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen has admitted to some frustration about Renault's delayed decision about the shape of the works team's 2017 driver lineup. Earlier, it was believed the team […]
  • 07/08/2017 2018 contract ‘not news to me’ – Magnussen Aug.7 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen says he was not surprised when Haas announced recently that it is keeping the same driver lineup for 2018. The American team said before Hungary that the […]
  • 31/10/2016 Haas admits 2017 talks with Magnussen Oct.31 (GMM) Gunther Steiner has admitted Haas has been in touch with Kevin Magnussen about 2017. With Dane Magnussen's future at Renault uncertain, reports emerged in Mexico at the […]