Nov.12 (GMM) Red Bull has stepped in to calm a spiralling dispute between its junior F1 team Toro Rosso and mutual engine supplier Renault.
Franz Tost reacted furiously in Brazil when his Renault counterpart Cyril Abiteboul suggested Toro Rosso’s spate of reliability problems was “not a coincidence”.
In a furious statement, Toro Rosso reacted by revealing it is running short on Renault-supplied spare parts, and hinted that Renault could actually be sabotaging the Faenza based team.
“We mustn’t forget that they are fighting with Toro Rosso for a better position in the constructors’ championship,” said the statement.
“As suggested by Mr Abiteboul, the situation may not be a coincidence”.
That suggestion reportedly infuriated Abiteboul, who was subsequently seen in an angry exchange in the Interlagos paddock with Dr Helmut Marko.
With Tost refusing to apologise, the next rumour was that Renault could immediately break the Toro Rosso contract due to damage to the French carmaker’s reputation, leaving the team without engines in Abu Dhabi.
Marko, a top Red Bull official, moved to calm the spiralling situation.
“As usual at the end of another long season, emotions are running high but Renault is a valued relationship and will remain so,” he said in Brazil.
“There has never been any question that we have not been treated fairly and equitably by our engine suppliers, and that is still true today,” Marko added.
23/05/2015 Renault, Red Bull exit still ‘possible’ – Prost May 23 (GMM) Speculation about Renault's future in formula one continues to swirl around the paddock. Earlier in 2015, at the height of partner Red Bull's criticism and its performance […]
23/06/2016 Red Bull could sell Sainz deal to Renault – report Jun.23 (GMM) There could be more than meets the eye to the re-signing by Red Bull of Carlos Sainz for 2017.
Reports in recent days, backed by comments by Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost and […]
11/11/2017 Toro Rosso may miss Abu Dhabi – report Nov.11 (GMM) Toro Rosso may have to sit out the 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi.
Germany's Auto Motor und Sports reports that as the second Red Bull team hits regular problems with its […]
20/11/2015 Ricciardo hints Abu Dhabi announcement looming Nov.20 (GMM) Red Bull appears set to stay in formula one with Renault power in 2016. Earlier, the energy drink company risked dropping off the grid amid its crumbling relationship with […]
14/05/2015 Toro Rosso plays down Renault team takeover May 14 (GMM) Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost has played down the chances of a team takeover by Renault. Earlier this year, at the height of Red Bull's public spat with the French carmaker, […]
04/02/2016 Red Bull to get technical equality – Renault Feb.4 (GMM) Red Bull will enjoy the very same equipment as the Renault works team in 2016, the French carmaker has assured. Even though Red Bull has reverted to mere customer status for […]
14/04/2015 Horner plays down Red Bull quit threat Apr.14 (GMM) Christian Horner is now playing down Red Bull's F1 quit threat. Earlier, directing their anger at engine supplier Renault, the energy drink company's mogul Dietrich […]
17/07/2017 Red Bull to consider Sainz release – Horner Jul.17 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs and Carlos Sainz have hit back at suggestions the Spanish driver will switch to Renault ahead of the forthcoming Hungarian GP.
It is claimed Renault wants to […]