Sao Paulo mayor plays down F1 violence

Nov.13 (GMM) Sao Paulo mayor Joao Doria has played down the violence that marred this year’s Brazilian grand prix.

After robbery attacks on Mercedes, Williams and FIA staff earlier at Interlagos as team staff travelled to and from the circuit, the next victim late on Sunday were members of Sauber.

“As we came to the circuit today, there were so many police it looked as though civil war had broken out,” said Mercedes boss Toto Wolff.

Local mayor Doria admitted he had ordered the security crackdown, but defended Sao Paulo.

“What has happened cannot be justified,” he is quoted by DPA news agency, “but I’ve seen worse cases at other race tracks.

“It was the first time we had a case of such seriousness,” the mayor added.

Sao Paulo native Felipe Massa had been critical of the situation this year, saying Brazil must evolve as a country.

“We are going through difficult times,” said the F1 veteran.

Mayor Doria responded: “I like Felipe very much, but circumstances like these have occurred on other racetracks in the world. And no one ever said he was ashamed to be from that country or to have that circuit.

“These are regrettable circumstances, but they can occur in any country,” he told Globo.

Some insiders fear that the incidents of 2017 could be the death knell for Interlagos, with the city selling the circuit and Massa’s retirement meaning there are no more Brazilians on the grid.

“I hope formula one stays in Brazil,” Massa said. “This country is too important, having had so many drivers, so many world champions.”

Mayor Doria is confident Brazil’s place is secure.

“We have a contract until 2020 and whoever purchases the circuit must respect it.

“After that, we hope we can renew for another ten years,” he added.

And when asked if the violent incidents of the past weekend might hurt negotiations for a post-2020 future, Doria answered: “No, because while bad things happening are unfortunate, it also means you make things better in the future.”

Related News

  • 26/10/2017 Brazil GP near Sao Paulo safe until 2020 – mayor Oct.26 (GMM) Brazil's formula one race at Sao Paulo is not under threat. That is the claim of Sao Paulo mayor Joao Doria, despite the fact Bernie Ecclestone left his post as F1 supremo […]
  • 17/11/2016 Mayor invites Ecclestone to buy Interlagos Nov.17 (GMM) New Sao Paulo mayor Joao Doria has confirmed reports F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone could rescue the Brazilian grand prix. With the Interlagos race already under a cloud for […]
  • 30/09/2016 Massa, Nasr worried over Brazil GP future Sep.30 (GMM) F1's two Brazilian drivers are worried amid speculation Interlagos could fall off the race calendar. Recently, Brazilian grand prix promoter Tamas Rohonyi criticised Felipe […]
  • 15/11/2016 Ecclestone hints at buying Interlagos Nov.15 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has admitted the future of the long-running Brazilian grand prix at Interlagos remains "absolutely" uncertain. With the Sao Paulo race having only a […]
  • 28/12/2016 Massa not commenting on F1 return Dec.28 (GMM) Felipe Massa is still refusing to comment on widespread speculation his F1 retirement will be very short lived. Given Nico Rosberg's shock retirement, it is reported that […]
  • 07/04/2017 Ecclestone buying Interlagos ‘good’ – Massa Apr.7 (GMM) Felipe Massa says it would be "good" if a buyer for Brazilian grand prix venue Interlagos is being lined up. Reports this week have claimed that former F1 supremo Bernie […]
  • 26/04/2017 F1 could ‘lose’ Brazil GP – Ecclestone Apr.26 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says it is still possible F1 could be set to lose the popular and traditional Brazilian grand prix. Recently, the former F1 supremo revealed he had been […]
  • 11/08/2017 Massa recovers from Hungary illness Aug.11 (GMM) Felipe Massa looks to be on track for his return to action after the August break. The Brazilian veteran sat out the Hungarian grand prix recently with an illness that […]
  • 16/10/2017 Mayor says Pirelli wants to buy Interlagos Oct.16 (GMM) Pirelli could be looking to buy the Brazilian grand prix venue at Interlagos. That is the claim of the Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport, following a visit to […]
  • 10/11/2016 Massa seeks talks over Brazil GP future Nov.10 (GMM) Felipe Massa is not convinced privatisation is the answer as Interlagos looks to safeguard the future of the Brazilian grand prix. While Nico Rosberg has a chance to seal […]