Violence no threat to Brazil GP future – Massa

Nov.12 (GMM) The latest violent incidents involving F1 personnel is evidence Brazil “needs to evolve”.

That is the view of retiring Brazilian veteran Felipe Massa, after it emerged that robberies involving guns affected Mercedes, Williams and FIA staff as they travelled from the Interlagos circuit to hotels in sprawling Sao Paulo.

On social media, world champion Lewis Hamilton did not hide his anger that his team members were caught up in the drama.

“I was horrified,” the Mercedes driver admitted to reporters.

“The saddest thing is that I’ve been in formula one for ten years, and every year at least someone from the paddock becomes a victim like this.

“It’s also the responsibility of formula one. They need to do something to ensure that everyone is safe,” Hamilton added.

The FIA responded by saying “heavy police reinforcements” have been deployed for the rest of the weekend.

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff commented: “Brazil is a wonderful country, but we should not need armoured vehicles to travel safely from the hotel to the track.”

Williams driver Massa is a Sao Paulo native, but he admitted to Globo on Saturday that he has no intention of returning to the troubled city to live with his family.

“It is so sad not only for those who are having the problem but also for Brazilians. But it just shows how much the country needs to evolve,” he said.

The future of the race at Interlagos is already under a cloud, but Massa said the latest incidents are not evidence that F1 should end its association with Brazil.

“We race in Mexico, we’ve raced in India, and I don’t know if it’s any more dangerous than there,” he said.

“But it is a problem for the people in charge who need to give security for whoever is here.

“I love Brazil,” Massa insisted, “but at the moment I will not go back (to live).

“My son is studying in Monaco, he speaks three languages which is important for his future. Maybe in the future I would love to return to a better and safer country,” he added.

Related News

  • 23/08/2015 Lauda told Hamilton to delete machine gun video Aug.23 (GMM) Niki Lauda ordered that a video of Lewis Hamilton firing a machine gun be removed from the reigning world champion's social media accounts. On Saturday, a controversy […]
  • 27/05/2015 Wolff sure Hamilton will trust Mercedes again May 27 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton is not at Brackley this week as Mercedes tackles the bungled mess of the Briton's Monaco grand prix. The reigning world champion was dominant all weekend in […]
  • 23/06/2015 Hamilton warns Rosberg against ‘momentum’ hopes Jun.23 (GMM) F1's battle for the 2015 title looks to now be a two-horse race. Nico Rosberg has won three of the last four grands prix, despite earlier appearing outclassed by his […]
  • 12/12/2016 Hamilton, Wolff, end Abu Dhabi controversy Dec.12 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton and Toto Wolff are looking to put the controversy of the Abu Dhabi finale firmly in the past. After the 2016 finale, Mercedes boss Wolff was said to be […]
  • 13/07/2017 Absent Hamilton booed in London Jul.13 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton will head into his home race at Silverstone amid a cloud of local booing. At F1's London demonstration event on Wednesday, the Mercedes driver's countrymen […]
  • 07/12/2015 Boss says Hamilton ‘not irreplaceable’ Dec.7 (GMM) An unnamed team boss thinks Mercedes could seriously consider dropping Lewis Hamilton. The German team's chief, Toto Wolff, warned dramatically after Hamilton won the 2015 […]
  • 13/04/2015 Rosberg vows to ‘move on’ after Hamilton run-in Apr.13 (GMM) Nico Rosberg has vowed to move on after his post-race run-in with teammate Lewis Hamilton in China. Addressing his fans in a video posted on social media from the Shanghai […]
  • 19/01/2015 Mercedes announces Jerez launch for 2015 car Jan.19 (GMM) Mercedes has confirmed reports it will reveal its title-defending 2015 car on the first day of official winter testing. We reported earlier in January that unlike McLaren […]
  • 30/09/2017 Hamilton should ‘rethink’ political tactics – Wolff Sep.30 (GMM) Toto Wolff has told Lewis Hamilton to "rethink" his public political stance about controversial US president Donald Trump. On social media, the Mercedes driver recently […]
  • 06/05/2016 Mercedes still investigating Hamilton failures May 6 (GMM) Mercedes has admitted it is still working on fixing the engine problems that have thwarted Lewis Hamilton's championship campaign so far in 2016. In China and again in […]