Customers may beat Renault in 2018 – Prost

Dec.7 (GMM) Alain Prost has admitted Renault may struggle to beat its engine customers in 2018.

Next year, the French carmaker will continue to run its own works team while supplying identical power units to both Red Bull and McLaren.

F1 legend Prost, a Renault advisor, says it will not be easy for Renault to beat them.

But he told Auto Motor und Sport: “For me, the pressure is positive, even if it is difficult.

“The factory team will race against two well-established teams, where the entire organisation that Renault is still setting up already exists.

“And both of those teams also have top drivers — maybe even the best. On paper we cannot beat Red Bull and McLaren,” quadruple world champion Prost said.

The great Frenchman admits Renault was disappointed to miss its target of fifth in the constructors’ championship in 2017, “But we will be better next year”.

“And the comparison with the customer teams will help us to gain experience in order to get closer to the top teams,” Prost continued.

“We will be here for a long time so it’s important that we make progress every year. In the end, if we want to win, we will have to beat everyone.”

Related News

  • 13/12/2017 Reliability first goal for 2018 – Abiteboul Dec.13 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul says Renault's first priority for 2018 is reliability. Although Red Bull won three races this year, a late season reliability crisis saw tensions spill over […]
  • 13/03/2018 Renault not targeting 2018 race win – Prost Mar.13 (GMM) Alain Prost says Renault is not setting goals for 2018, but he will not rule out a podium for the French team. After winter testing, the general consensus is that Renault […]
  • 19/12/2015 No budget increase for works Renault team – Stoll Dec.19 (GMM) Jerome Stoll, the Renault Sport chairman, has dismissed reports the French carmaker is ramping up its annual F1 budget. The reports had suggested that after only supplying […]
  • 21/09/2018 Beating top teams ‘ridiculous’ goal – Budkowski Sep.21 (GMM) Renault is not ready to charge for the world title. That is the admission of Marcin Budkowski, a former leading FIA official who has controversially switched to the French […]
  • 22/02/2018 Renault wants to halve gap to top teams Feb.22 (GMM) Renault has confirmed reports it has made progress with its F1 engine ahead of the 2018 season. Late last year, the French marque encountered reliability problems and a […]
  • 30/06/2015 Formula E means 2016 ‘not lost year’ – Abiteboul Jun.30 (GMM) Success in Formula E means 2015 will not be a "lost year" for Renault. That is the view of Cyril Abiteboul, who is managing director of the French carmaker's formula one […]
  • 20/06/2018 Toro Rosso to keep ‘works’ Honda status Jun.20 (GMM) Toro Rosso will not lose its works status now that senior team Red Bull has signed up to also be powered by Honda engines from 2019. That is the news from Honda's F1 general […]
  • 30/05/2016 Decision looming on Renault’s 2017 approach – Prost May 30 (GMM) Alain Prost thinks the time for Renault to switch its full focus to 2017 is now approaching. The quadruple world champion, now an ambassador for the French carmaker and a […]
  • 29/08/2018 Verstappen admits no Honda title until 2020 Aug.29 (GMM) Max Verstappen is looking forward to Red Bull's Honda-powered future. A fierce critic of the departing customer Renault engines, the Dutchman acknowledges however that he […]
  • 26/09/2015 Prost sure Vettel to beat career victory tally Sep.26 (GMM) Fellow quadruple world champion Alain Prost has admitted he expects Sebastian Vettel to soon trouble another of his impressive personal records. In Singapore last weekend, […]