Ericsson ‘nervous’ before 2018 deal signed

Dec.5 (GMM) Marcus Ericsson has admitted he had “a few nervous weeks” before he was re-signed by Sauber for 2018.

The Swede was out-scored this year by his teammate Pascal Wehrlein, who has been ousted and looks set to leave F1.

Ericsson admits that Wehrlein, the highly-rated young Mercedes driver, was “the perfect measure” for him in 2017.

However, it is believed 26-year-old Ericsson’s strong links with the new Sauber ownership were enough to secure his place for next season.

“I had a few nervous weeks but of course it’s nice that everything is ready now, especially with Alfa Romeo as a major sponsor and partner,” he told the Swedish motoring magazine Teknikens Varld.

Ericsson, who has also raced in F1 with the now-defunct Caterham team, admitted he is relieved that Sauber looks set to have a more competitive car in 2018.

“It has been quite a tough career so far in formula one,” he said. “It has been difficult to show what I can do with cars that are always at the back of the grid.

“But now with Sauber together with Alfa Romeo, it should mean that for the first time I can be much higher on the grid,” Ericsson added.

He will be paired next year with Charles Leclerc, the new Formula 2 champion and a Ferrari junior driver.

“Charles Leclerc is an incredibly talented driver who really dominated F2 this year and will of course be a tough opponent for me next season,” Ericsson said.

“He is also Ferrari’s new super junior but I’m sure we will work well together to develop the car in the best way.”

Related News

  • 23/11/2017 Sauber set for driver, Alfa Romeo announcements Nov.23 (GMM) Sauber is shaping up to make announcements this week in Abu Dhabi. It is expected that Pascal Wehrlein will leave the Swiss team after Sunday's 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi, to […]
  • 06/12/2017 Keeping Sauber secret ‘difficult’ – Leclerc Dec.6 (GMM) Charles Leclerc admits it was "difficult" to keep F1's worst kept secret in the second half of the 2017 season. Most F1 insiders suspected the Monaco-born 20-year-old would […]
  • 15/12/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up after Sauber snub Dec.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he is keeping his chin up despite missing out on the Sauber seat for 2018. His fellow Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is making the full-time step up […]
  • 22/09/2017 Sauber tipped to choose drivers ‘soon’ Sep.22 (GMM) Sauber will reportedly make the call about its 2018 driver lineup soon. Earlier, it looked certain Pascal Wehrlein would lose his seat as team engine supplier Ferrari brings […]
  • 02/09/2017 Sauber poised to make announcement Sep.2 (GMM) Sauber is poised to make a key announcement about the future. The F1 rumour mill at Monza says the Swiss team will confirm either that Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is […]
  • 04/12/2017 No four leaf clover on 2018 Sauber Dec.4 (GMM) It is not yet clear if Alfa Romeo's legendary 'four leaf clover' will be on the Sauber livery in 2018. The Swiss team's sponsorship by the Italian luxury car brand was […]
  • 15/09/2017 Wehrlein quiet on new 2018 Sauber seat rumours Sep.15 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein is not commenting on reports he still has a shot at keeping his Sauber seat for 2018. Two weeks ago, the German sounded pessimistic about the future, as […]
  • 25/09/2017 Vasseur admits Ericsson could leave Sauber Sep.25 (GMM) Frederic Vasseur says Mercedes junior Pascal Wehrlein is still in the running to stay at Sauber next year. Earlier, German Wehrlein seemed resigned to losing his seat with […]
  • 15/12/2017 20 new staff to join Sauber for 2018 Dec.15 (GMM) With its newly signed title sponsor Alfa Romeo, Sauber is already ramping up its bid to end its backmarker status. Auto Motor und Sport reports that the beleaguered Swiss […]
  • 28/07/2017 Sauber eyes upgrade to 2018 Ferrari engine Jul.28 (GMM) Sauber looks set to stick with Ferrari power for 2018. Following a period of speculation, the Swiss team's new boss Frederic Vasseur confirmed in Hungary that he has called […]