Haas closes door on Ferrari’s Giovinazzi

Dec.5 (GMM) Haas appears to have closed the door completely on Antonio Giovinazzi.

Since July, the Ferrari junior driver appeared in a Haas cockpit on seven Friday mornings at grands prix.

“I don’t think it helped us or our drivers,” Haas team boss Gunther Steiner told Ekstra Bladet newspaper.

“I cannot say how negative it was, but it was not positive. We will see what we are doing next year, but we have not talked about it yet,” he added.

Italian Giovinazzi has been left out of the Sauber race lineup for 2018, even though Ferrari’s other junior, Charles Leclerc, was accommodated.

Ferrari also tried to accommodate Giovinazzi at Haas for 2018, but the American team said no.

“They asked,” Steiner said, “but if you don’t ask you don’t get what you want.

“They did not pressure us. We quickly clarified that we have two drivers next year. It was pretty straightforward.”

For now, Giovinazzi has six Friday practice outings lined up with Sauber for 2018.

“We understand his desire to race but at the moment there are no places,” Ferrari president Sergio Marchionne told Italy’s Autosprint.

Related News

  • 19/07/2017 Haas has ‘control’ of driver decision – Steiner Jul.19 (GMM) Haas boss Gunther Steiner said he remains in control of the American team's driver decision for 2018. Currently, Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen drive for the […]
  • 25/08/2017 Vasseur denies Sauber to be Ferrari ‘B team’ Aug.25 (GMM) Frederic Vasseur has played down claims Sauber could join Haas in becoming another Ferrari 'B' team. It has emerged that Sauber will use Ferrari's fully up-to-date 2018 […]
  • 05/06/2017 Magnussen sitting out sessions due to contract Jun.5 (GMM) Contractual details explain why Kevin Magnussen will sit out so many Friday practice sessions in the second half of 2017. With Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi set for […]
  • 15/07/2017 Giovinazzi hopes for 2018 race seat Jul.15 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi is hoping Haas is the key to his future in F1. After signing up as Ferrari's reserve driver, the Italian was surprised early this year when he got two […]
  • 09/11/2017 Giovinazzi not giving up on 2018 F1 ‘dream’ Nov.9 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi says he still has his eye on the big "dream" of racing in formula one for Ferrari. The Italian actually had a minor role in this year's F1 season, […]
  • 31/07/2017 Sauber to be Ferrari ‘junior team’ – Marchionne Jul.31 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has admitted Sauber could become "a kind of junior team" for Ferrari. Last week, former F1 team founder Gian Carlo Minardi said the so-called Ferrari 'B […]
  • 25/08/2017 Wehrlein admits Ferrari junior could oust him Aug.25 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has admitted he might find himself ousted by Sauber at the end of the year. There are reports that after new team boss Frederic Vasseur swapped the team's […]
  • 17/07/2017 Haas turns ‘full focus’ to 2018 car Jul.17 (GMM) F1's American team Haas is turning its attention to building a better car for 2018. "Our full focus is on 2018 now," team boss Gunther Steiner confirmed to Ekstra Bladet […]
  • 07/09/2017 Haas not keen on ‘pay driver’ model Sep.7 (GMM) Team owner Gene Haas seems determined to avoid the 'pay driver' trend in F1. For the American team's first season last year, Haas took on Esteban Gutierrez, who came with the […]
  • 22/12/2016 Giovinazzi set for Friday drives in 2017 Dec.22 (GMM) New Ferrari reserve Antonio Giovinazzi could be set for some Friday practice outings with Sauber or Haas in 2017. The great Italian marque has signed the young Italian GP2 […]