Marchionne says Fiat quit threat ‘serious’

Dec.4 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has reiterated his threat to pull Ferrari out of F1 after 2020.

In fact, the Fiat CEO is now also threatening to withdraw Sauber’s newly announced Alfa Romeo sponsorship, over the dispute with Liberty Media about future rules.

“We are serious and need to find a solution, and I think Chase (Cary) understands that we cannot back down,” Marchionne said.

Marchionne’s latest threat has curious timing, given that the new Alfa Romeo-Sauber partnership is being touted as a ‘long term’ one.

“Such projects are always designed for the long term,” confirmed Sauber team boss Frederic Vasseur.

But Marchionne said the deal is in fact only guaranteed for 2018, 2019 and 2020.

“The Alfa Romeo agreement with Sauber expires in 2020-2021,” he told La Gazzetta dello Sport, “when Ferrari could go out of formula one.

“We have to find a solution for the sake of the sport. A compromise must be found.”

Related News

  • 15/02/2016 Alfa Romeo could be works F1 team – Marchionne Feb.15 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne says Alfa Romeo could return to formula one as a works team. Earlier, the Ferrari and Fiat Chrysler chief flagged the possibility of the return to F1 of […]
  • 13/02/2017 Giovinazzi not denying Friday practice rumours Feb.13 (GMM) Antonio Giovinazzi has refused to dismiss speculation he might be in line for some Friday practice outings this season. The Italian, who was the runner-up in GP2 last year, […]
  • 21/04/2016 F1 must look beyond Ecclestone era – Marchionne Apr.21 (GMM) F1 needs to be looking ahead to the post-Bernie Ecclestone era. That is the view of Sergio Marchionne, the Ferrari and Fiat president, amid rumours the powerful […]
  • 06/05/2016 Ferrari can still win 2016 title – Marchionne May 6 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne says Ferrari "deserves" to keep charging for the 2016 world championship. That is despite the fact Sebastian Vettel, widely regarded as Maranello's lead […]
  • 15/12/2015 Alfa Romeo could return to F1 – Marchionne Dec.15 (GMM) Alfa Romeo could return to formula one, Fiat Chrysler president Sergio Marchionne has announced. He was speaking as Ferrari president at the fabled marque's end-of-year […]
  • 11/04/2017 Marchionne not commenting on future post 2019 Apr.11 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has refused to comment on reports he will stay in charge at Ferrari beyond 2019. During the Shanghai weekend, reports from Italy suggested the 64-year-old […]
  • 11/07/2017 Marchionne confirms Sassi’s F1 exit Jul.11 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has confirmed that Ferrari engine boss Lorenzo Sassi has left the F1 team. We reported at the weekend that the respected designer was either ousted by team […]
  • 18/04/2016 Marchionne not ruling out Sauber buyout by Alfa Romeo Apr.18 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has not dismissed speculation the struggling Swiss team Sauber could become Alfa Romeo. Marchionne, the Ferrari and Fiat Chrysler president, has been […]
  • 20/04/2016 Kaltenborn not ruling out Alfa Romeo rumours Apr.20 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has joined Sergio Marchionne in not dismissing speculation Sauber might be snapped up by Alfa Romeo. Marchionne, the Fiat Chrysler and Ferrari president, […]
  • 29/11/2017 Sauber to make announcements on Wednesday Nov.29 (GMM) Sauber is preparing to make some key announcements on Wednesday. Blick newspaper reports that the Swiss team will confirm that its Ferrari engines will be rebranded as Alfa […]