Gelael staying with Toro Rosso in 2018

Jan.10 (GMM) Sean Gelael says he will continue his role with Toro Rosso this year.

The 21-year-old, tho is the son of the Indonesian KFC magnate, tested and drove in some Friday practice sessions for the Red Bull-owned team in 2017.

“Working with Toro Rosso completely changed my life,” Gelael told Italiaracing.

“This year, I will work with them again. Our goal is to continue what we decided at the tests in Abu Dhabi,” he added.

Gelael, who finished 15th overall last year, also said he will once again race in Formula 2 in 2018.

“I hope the season in Formula 2 will be successful and I earn points for my super license, and I get a chance to participate in several Friday practices,” he said.

Gelael also voiced a word of support for his friend and Ferrari junior driver Antonio Giovinazzi, who he said is good enough to secure a full-time F1 seat.

“He deserved a place already for this season, so I think if such a driver fails to achieve his goal next year, there is something wrong with the system,” he said.

Related News

  • 02/08/2017 Toro Rosso linked with KFC livery change Aug.2 (GMM) Toro Rosso could get another colour change for 2018. The speculation comes after Sean Gelael got his next F1 test with the Red Bull junior team in Hungary. Not too long ago, […]
  • 23/11/2016 Giovinazzi eyes step towards F1 in Abu Dhabi Nov.23 (GMM) Another important championship will also reach its zenith this weekend in Abu Dhabi. While the Nico Rosberg vs Lewis Hamilton stoush is front and centre, it is also the case […]
  • 29/09/2017 Sainz to ‘finish season with Toro Rosso’ Sep.29 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says he is staying in his Toro Rosso seat for the rest of 2018. In the weeks before Malaysia, there were rumours the Spaniard would make his move to Renault […]
  • 28/10/2016 Pirelli testing for some drivers ‘unfair’ – Sainz Oct.28 (GMM) Carlos Sainz says it's "unfair" that some teams and drivers are getting early experience of Pirelli's bigger tyres for 2017. Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull have produced […]
  • 26/09/2015 Red Bull threats no threat to Verstappen – father Sep.26 (GMM) Red Bull chiefs were having more meetings with their Ferrari counterparts on Saturday. The talks at Suzuka are amid the very real threat that the energy drink company could […]
  • 19/11/2015 Red Bull to be ready for first 2016 test Nov.19 (GMM) Red Bull is on target to make the first test of the 2016 pre-season period, engineering chief Paul Monaghan insists. Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya has announced that it […]
  • 23/11/2016 Ferrari call off Christmas lunch – report Nov.23 (GMM) Ferrari may have cancelled its traditional F1 team Christmas lunch. That is the claim of the well-connected Ferrari media insider Leo Turrini, citing the information of […]
  • 01/02/2017 Manor could still be saved for 2017 – report Feb.1 (GMM) Embattled F1 backmarker Manor's hopes may still be faintly alive. Actually, it appears that only 10 teams will line up on the 2017 grid, after Manor's administrator FRP […]
  • 21/11/2017 McLaren’s Norris to make F2 debut in Abu Dhabi Nov.21 (GMM) Lando Norris will make his Formula 2 debut in Abu Dhabi this weekend. Recently, McLaren said the 18-year-old will replace Jenson Button as the official reserve driver in […]
  • 26/11/2016 Drivers key to 2018 introduction for Halo Nov.26 (GMM) The drivers will be central to the FIA's decision about whether to introduce the controversial 'Halo' cockpit protection concept in 2018 or impose a further delay. Although […]