Mercedes to keep supporting ousted Wehrlein – Wolff

Jan.12 (GMM) Mercedes will continue to support Pascal Wehrlein, even though there is no place for the ousted Sauber driver on the 2018 grid.

As Toto Wolff was campaigning for the 23-year-old to be considered by Williams, he warned that Mercedes cannot financially prop up the German’s place in F1 forever.

But after Wehrlein lost his Sauber seat to Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc for 2018, Wolff now says Mercedes will keep backing the 2015 DTM title winner.

“Pascal definitely deserves a place in formula one,” Wolff is quoted by Italy’s Autosprint. “He is among the fastest drivers.

“At the moment things seem a little difficult regarding the available seats, but he will absolutely remain in our team.”

However, an exact role for Wehrlein within the Mercedes programme is yet to be announced.

“It is not clear if he will race in a category outside formula one, but what is certain is that he will remain part of our team,” Wolff added.

The man who decided to oust Wehrlein – new Sauber chief Frederic Vasseur – admitted it is tough for some of F1’s younger drivers to make their way in the category.

“Even if a newcomer is very competitive it is not easy for him,” the Frenchman is quoted by Auto Hebdo.

“This is evident in Mercedes and Ferrari, who do not risk putting their drivers Ocon or Leclerc in their cars because the stakes are too high.

“Instead they give their drivers experience in partner teams. The top teams do not feel confident in their young drivers,” Vasseur added.

Related News

  • 15/09/2017 Wehrlein quiet on new 2018 Sauber seat rumours Sep.15 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein is not commenting on reports he still has a shot at keeping his Sauber seat for 2018. Two weeks ago, the German sounded pessimistic about the future, as […]
  • 10/08/2017 Leclerc ‘would be useful’ for Sauber – boss Aug.10 (GMM) Rumours the Swiss team Sauber could become a junior platform for Ferrari are gaining strength. New boss Frederic Vasseur's first task at Sauber was scrapping the planned […]
  • 08/12/2017 Kaltenborn questions decision to oust Wehrlein Dec.8 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has questioned Sauber's decision to oust Pascal Wehrlein. Earlier this year, the Swiss team parted with Kaltenborn and appointed Frederic Vasseur as its […]
  • 24/11/2017 Ericsson admits ‘concern’ about losing seat Nov.24 (GMM) Sauber's two drivers are facing the prospect of losing their places in formula one after the 2017 finale in Abu Dhabi this weekend. It is almost certain that Charles […]
  • 02/09/2017 Sauber poised to make announcement Sep.2 (GMM) Sauber is poised to make a key announcement about the future. The F1 rumour mill at Monza says the Swiss team will confirm either that Ferrari junior Charles Leclerc is […]
  • 14/12/2017 Wehrlein’s F1 exit ‘a shame’ – Wolff Dec.14 (GMM) Toto Wolff says it's a shame Pascal Wehrlein looks to have been left without a seat in F1. German Wehrlein is a Mercedes-backed junior driver, but although Wolff recommended […]
  • 27/08/2017 ‘Another 2018 option’ for Wehrlein – Wolff Aug.27 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein is not yet out of the running for a F1 seat in 2018. That is the view of Toto Wolff, who oversees the career of the Mercedes-backed German […]
  • 05/10/2017 Wehrlein a contender for Williams seat – Wolff Oct.5 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein has emerged as a fourth candidate to become Lance Stroll's teammate at Williams next year. Earlier, reports circulated that Robert Kubica and Paul di Resta […]
  • 25/05/2017 Sponsor enabled Wolff switch – Wolff May 25 (GMM) One sponsor could have made the difference when it came to Valtteri Bottas securing the Mercedes seat for 2017. Team boss Toto Wolff admitted that Bottas' major sponsor at […]
  • 28/10/2017 Sauber not ready to name 2018 drivers Oct.28 (GMM) Boss Frederic Vasseur is refusing to say who will drive for Sauber in 2018. According to some, the Swiss team could do a clean sweep and oust both Pascal Wehrlein and Marcus […]