Carey hits back after Formula E comments

Feb.9 (GMM) Chase Carey has hit back at his Formula E counterpart, insisting that F1 will remain the pinnacle of motor sport.

Formula E chief Alejandro Agag said recently he thinks the all-electric series will take over from formula one within a decade or two.

“I’m glad he has a crystal ball,” F1 chief executive Chase Carey laughed to media outlets including Germany’s Sport Bild.

“Formula E is not our competitor. It represents something that matters to all of us – the environment – but I see it as more of a street party than a sports event,” he added.

“People who’ve been there say they had fun because there was music and good food, but formula one is watched worldwide and we now have the opportunity to take it to a new level.

“And I believe other series can help us, because they create interest. But the top series is and remains formula one,” Carey said.

Related News

  • 26/09/2016 Zak Brown, Agag linked with F1 roles Sep.26 (GMM) F1 sponsorship guru Zak Brown is lining up a top job in the sport, according to the respected business outlet Sky News. Journalist Mark Kleinman, who has predicted many key […]
  • 10/01/2017 Gutierrez moves from F1 to Formula E Jan.10 (GMM) After losing his seat at Haas, Esteban Gutierrez will continue his motor racing career in the Formula E single seater series. The Mexican driver and the electric-powered […]
  • 02/02/2018 Series boss says Formula E will overtake F1 Feb.2 (GMM) The boss of Formula E says he thinks the all-electric series will eventually overtake F1. Series chief Alejandro Agag took a swipe at F1 after Liberty Media announced this […]
  • 09/09/2016 Formula E boss plays down F1 role rumours Sep.9 (GMM) Formula E boss Alejandro Agag has played down suggestions he is set to help run formula one in the wake of the buyout by US media tycoon John Malone. "It's not true," the […]
  • 30/11/2017 Ferrari not ready for Formula E – Agag Nov.30 (GMM) Formula E boss Alejandro Agag does not think Ferrari is serious about launching a foray any time soon. Annoyed about the direction of F1 under Liberty Media, Ferrari […]
  • 18/04/2017 Carey hits back at Ecclestone race fee comments Apr.18 (GMM) Chase Carey has hit back at his predecessor Bernie Ecclestone following comments made in Bahrain last weekend. While attending his first race since being ousted as F1 […]
  • 10/05/2017 Liberty bought F1 to end ‘crisis’ – Carey May 10 (GMM) Liberty Media decided to buy F1 because it saw potential amid the sport's "crisis". That is the claim of Chase Carey, who has replaced long-time F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone […]
  • 24/01/2017 F1 supremo Ecclestone ‘dismissed’ Jan.24 (GMM) F1 chief executive Bernie Ecclestone has been officially ousted. The news came as the sport's new owner Liberty Media announced it has completed its F1 takeover, installing […]
  • 05/10/2015 Andretti warns F1 against revolution Oct.5 (GMM) Mario Andretti has warned formula one against going overboard as it looks to the future. After an intense period of recent soul-searching, the sport collectively agreed to […]
  • 05/04/2017 Audi plays down latest F1 rumours Apr.5 (GMM) Audi has ruled out racing in formula one, at least in the short term. Rumours Audi might be contemplating a foray were re-fired last week, when the Volkswagen brand was […]