Feb.5 (GMM) Zak Brown thinks the showdown between Ferrari and Liberty Media was “inevitable”.
With Liberty reportedly proposing a fairer income distribution system among other things, Ferrari has threatened to quit F1.
McLaren executive Brown told AS newspaper: “It was inevitable that there would be a confrontation between Ferrari and Liberty.
“Ferrari wants to protect the money they receive, because they receive a disproportionate amount. We all recognise that Ferrari as a team has added more value to the sport than anyone and should be rewarded accordingly.
“But I think it is very unbalanced, and that Liberty only wants and has to do the best for the sport,” he added.
Since joining McLaren, Brown has clearly developed a strong relationship with Fernando Alonso and has let the Spaniard race at the Indy 500 and now Le Mans.
“Alonso does what other drivers are not brave enough to dare and I admire that,” he said.
“I did not know him before and obviously he had a reputation for being difficult to work with, but I’ve found that it’s great to work with him.”
And he thinks that although Alonso will be busy with his sports car programme in 2018, he will also be much happier in F1.
“I think the Renault engine is close to the Mercedes,” said Brown.
“It won three races last year, so even though people think it’s the third best engine, I think they’re all very close to each other.”
As for Alonso being world champion, Brown answered: “This year? It’s possible. We’ll see.
“In the future, he will be champion again. He is driving better than ever so it’s up to us to give him a chance.”
26/05/2017 Alonso says no Indycar switch for 2018 May 26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down speculation he could quit formula one and switch full-time to the American equivalent Indycar.
The Spaniard is not in Monaco this weekend as […]
31/01/2018 Brown predicts ‘solid season’ for McLaren Jan.31 (GMM) Zak Brown insists formula one will remain Fernando Alonso's "number 1 priority" in 2018.
That is despite the fact that it has been announced officially that the Spanish […]
25/04/2017 Alonso, McLaren eye Indy return in future Apr.25 (GMM) Fernando Alonso and McLaren are looking to return to the Indy 500 in the future.
Recently, the British team shocked the racing world by announcing that together with the […]
17/11/2017 McLaren ‘open’ to Alonso’s Le Mans foray Nov.17 (GMM) Zak Brown has given the strongest sign yet that Fernando Alonso will be allowed to contest next year's fabled Le Mans race.
"In an ideal world, we would love Fernando to win […]
15/05/2017 Alonso heads straight from F1 to Indy May 15 (GMM) Fernando Alonso saw the chequered flag and almost immediately jumped on a private jet after his home Spanish grand prix late on Sunday.
F1 fans will not see the Spaniard at […]
20/04/2017 Vandoorne can relax amid McLaren crisis – Boullier Apr.20 (GMM) Eric Boullier insists F1 rookie Stoffel Vandoorne is "not under pressure" amid McLaren-Honda's current performance crisis.
One analysis of the situation might be that with […]
18/10/2017 McLaren could announce Alonso deal on Thursday Oct.18 (GMM) McLaren could be mere hours away from announcing that Fernando Alonso is staying with the British team in 2018.
Asked if a deal is "close" after weeks and months of […]
30/05/2017 Alonso may not do 2018 Indy 500 – Brown May 30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso might not return to do next year's Indy 500.
That is the news from Zak Brown, the new McLaren executive who engineered the Spaniard's controversial skipping […]
13/04/2017 Indy 500 ‘not step away from F1’ – Alonso Apr.13 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists his decision to skip next month's prestigious Monaco grand prix does not indicate his commitment to F1 is flagging.
"No, it (Indy) is a single race," […]
05/02/2018 Boullier backs Alonso’s Le Mans move Feb.5 (GMM) Eric Boullier says he supports Fernando Alonso's move into the world of Le Mans racing.
Some believe that the McLaren driver getting permission to split his time between F1 […]