Lando Norris prepared to leave McLaren

Feb.6 (GMM) Lando Norris says he is prepared to leave McLaren if the British team has no place for him within a year or so.

This year, McLaren will line up with an unchanged driver pairing of Fernando Alonso alongside Stoffel Vandoorne.

But youngster Norris, the new reigning F3 champion, steps up into the reserve role for 2018.

About his future, he said: “You could say it depends on what he (Alonso) does.

“So we’ll have to wait to see what Fernando wants to do because I think they (McLaren) are also happy with Vandoorne,” Norris, 18, is quoted by Marca sports newspaper.

The young Briton will combine his McLaren role with Formula 2 this year.

“I can develop a lot and definitely improve as a driver in 2018,” Norris said.

“Obviously my goal is to be at McLaren but if I cannot get a place here, then I’ll have to look for other opportunities.

“If they tell me there will be no place for three years then it’s obvious that I’ll have to go somewhere else, but if it’s only a year, I think I’ll continue with McLaren,” he added.

Related News

  • 07/08/2017 McLaren wants same drivers in 2018 – Norris Aug.7 (GMM) Lando Norris has calmed speculation he could be about to burst into formula one. The 17-year-old Briton, who is a McLaren junior driver, staked a claim on future F1 […]
  • 11/09/2017 McLaren will not loan Norris to rival team Sep.11 (GMM) Zak Brown says McLaren will not loan Lando Norris to another F1 team. Briton Norris, the 17-year-old star of European F3, is tipped for a bright future in F1 and already […]
  • 30/11/2016 Podium a ‘realistic goal’ for Honda – boss Nov.30 (GMM) Honda is targeting the podium for 2017. That is despite the fact that Fernando Alonso has never ruled out the possibility that, after McLaren-Honda's struggles in 2015 and […]
  • 21/11/2017 McLaren’s Norris to make F2 debut in Abu Dhabi Nov.21 (GMM) Lando Norris will make his Formula 2 debut in Abu Dhabi this weekend. Recently, McLaren said the 18-year-old will replace Jenson Button as the official reserve driver in […]
  • 14/05/2017 Renault hints Alonso return not priority May 14 (GMM) Cyril Abiteboul has hinted it is not Renault's priority to push to sign Fernando Alonso for 2018. Amid the McLaren-Honda crisis, Spaniard Alonso is clearly on the market and […]
  • 01/03/2016 Alonso found ‘happiness’ at McLaren-Honda Mar.1 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists that, although ultimate success in F1 has eluded him for a decade, he has found "happiness" with the McLaren-Honda project. Some, however, see the […]
  • 08/08/2017 McLaren wants to keep Vandoorne, Alonso Aug.8 (GMM) McLaren has confirmed claims it intends to line up with an unchanged driver lineup for 2018. After setting blistering times in the post-Hungary test, teenager Lando Norris […]
  • 05/02/2016 Friday outings possible for Ocon Feb.5 (GMM) Esteban Ocon may get some Friday practice outings in 2016. 'On loan' to Renault after re-signing with Mercedes' driver development scheme late last year, the 19-year-old […]
  • 07/09/2016 Russian GP2 driver reveals F1 talks Sep.7 (GMM) Artem Markelov, a Russian GP2 driver, claims he is in talks with "a number of teams" about entering formula one. The 21-year-old, who is linked to the ownership of the […]
  • 13/11/2017 Alonso ‘not my mentor’ – Vandoorne Nov.13 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he does not need Fernando Alonso's help in formula one. After a sluggish start, Belgian rookie Vandoorne is now regularly competitive alongside his […]