F1 could scrap fuel limit for 2019

Apr.14 (GMM) F1 may be on the cusp of ending the era of ‘fuel saving’.

In the hybrid era, the sport has got used to drivers using the ‘lift and coast’ tactic to get their limited fuel load to the chequered flag.

But Auto Motor und Sport reports that, at the forthcoming strategy group meeting on April 17, a proposal to scrap the fuel limit altogether will be discussed.

And at the very least, an increase in the fuel limit may be on the cards. “It’s set too low,” a Mercedes engineer said.

Another topic to be discussed at the meeting on Tuesday is overtaking, with changes to the wings on the cards for 2019.

“Yes, we still have time to agree for next year,” said Renault technical boss Bob Bell.

Related News

  • 24/06/2017 F1 ‘oil in fuel’ controversy re-emerges Jun.24 (GMM) Suggestions a team is gaining performance by mixing oil with fuel have re-emerged in Baku. The issue had died down, but the FIA warned again ahead of the Azerbaijan weekend […]
  • 04/07/2017 F1 targets lighter engines for future Jul.4 (GMM) Weight has emerged as a major factor as F1 prepares to change its engine formula beyond 2020. The next key meeting of the engine working group will take place on Tuesday, […]
  • 16/09/2017 Force India to be ‘Force Racing’ in 2018 Sep.16 (GMM) Force India looks set to be known as 'Force Racing' from 2018. Earlier, as embattled owner Vijay Mallya considered dropping 'India' from the official name in a move to […]
  • 19/03/2018 Brawn admits F1 cars must lose weight Mar.19 (GMM) Ross Brawn has acknowledged that formula one cars must lose weight. While laptimes are currently impressive, F1 figures including Robert Kubica and Paddy Lowe have said the […]
  • 13/10/2016 Bottas now key to 2017 ‘silly season’ – report Oct.13 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas is now the key to the conclusion of the 2017 driver 'silly season'. That is the claim of Germany's Auto Motor und Sport, even though it might be said that […]
  • 17/11/2016 Giovinazzi to turn down Mercedes offer Nov.17 (GMM) GP2 championship favourite Antonio Giovinazzi looks set to turn down an offer from Mercedes. The 22-year-old Italian has been linked with an impending move into F1 for 2017, […]
  • 17/11/2015 2017 engine to be 2.5 litre twin-turbo V6 Nov.17 (GMM) Details about the specification of F1's alternative engine for 2017 have emerged. Previously, it was believed independent outfits like Ilmor or Cosworth were being invited […]
  • 27/02/2017 Toro Rosso ‘not blue Mercedes’ – Key Feb.27 (GMM) Technical boss James Key has played down suggestions the new Toro Rosso 'looks like a blue Mercedes'. When the new Renault-powered STR12 was revealed, some observed that its […]
  • 23/11/2017 Ilmor would need sponsor for F1 foray – Illien Nov.23 (GMM) Mario Illien has played down suggestions Ilmor might be set to re-enter F1 in 2021. Liberty Media hopes that by simplifying the engine rules, independent players like Ilmor […]
  • 20/11/2015 Ilmor applies for 2017 ‘client engine’ role Nov.20 (GMM) Ilmor has put its hand up to become F1's exclusive supplier of the 2.5 litre 'client engine' for 2017. Headed by renowned F1 engine guru and Swiss Mario Illien, the British […]