Beating top teams ‘ridiculous’ goal – Budkowski

Sep.21 (GMM) Renault is not ready to charge for the world title.

That is the admission of Marcin Budkowski, a former leading FIA official who has controversially switched to the French carmaker’s works F1 effort.

He has recently been restructuring Renault in the background, but says those efforts will need to continue even after Daniel Ricciardo joins the team.

“We’re currently 1.5 seconds from the best,” Budkowski admitted to France’s Auto Hebdo.

“It would be ridiculous to say that we can erase this deficit when you consider organisations like Mercedes and Ferrari,” he added.

“But Renault is now a big organisation that continues to grow. At the end of the season, we will have grown by 50 per cent compared to the workforce present at the buyout of Lotus in December 2015.

“We will be close to 700 people at the end of year but that does not mean that the fruit of the collective work of these 700 people will be visible from January,” Budkowski said.

“When people arrive, a time of adaptation is necessary. When you have young people, you have to train them.

“And we recruited a lot of apprentices and newly-graduated talents. We are only now seeing the benefits of the recruitments of 2016 and 2017 now.”

Related News

  • 07/12/2017 Customers may beat Renault in 2018 – Prost Dec.7 (GMM) Alain Prost has admitted Renault may struggle to beat its engine customers in 2018. Next year, the French carmaker will continue to run its own works team while supplying […]
  • 17/09/2018 Ricciardo is worth top dollar – Prost Sep.17 (GMM) Paying the big bucks for Daniel Ricciardo is an expense that Renault can fully justify. That is the view of Alain Prost, an F1 legend who is now an ever-present special […]
  • 25/10/2015 Renault yet to take Lotus buyout decision – Ecclestone Oct.25 (GMM) As a U-turn on the Red Bull-Renault alliance now appears possible, it could be Lotus that is the team left without an engine to fire. At one point, the Enstone team looked […]
  • 05/09/2015 Lotus denies reports of pre-Singapore team collapse Sep.5 (GMM) Lotus has hit back at reports Monza could be the last race in the Enstone team's long history. Neither side can hide now that discussions about a buyout by Renault are taking […]
  • 22/09/2015 Renault’s Prost hints Grosjean leaving Enstone Sep.22 (GMM) Alain Prost has hinted he knows that Romain Grosjean is departing Lotus. As Renault ambassador, the F1 legend is tipped to take a leading role and perhaps also a […]
  • 05/01/2017 Force India wants to beat top team in 2017 – Ocon Jan.5 (GMM) Esteban Ocon says he and Force India are aiming high for 2017. The Mercedes-backed, 20-year-old Frenchman made his mid-season F1 debut for backmarker Manor last year, but for […]
  • 22/09/2015 Grosjean hints Lotus exit for Haas ‘risky’ Sep.22 (GMM) Even with a takeover by the French carmaker Renault now imminent, Romain Grosjean appears destined for the Lotus exit. It is believed the Frenchman, despite earlier gushing […]
  • 21/12/2015 Renault tells court Lotus buyout complete Dec.21 (GMM) Renault now "have the keys" to the Enstone based team known in 2015 as Lotus. That is what a lawyer for the French carmaker on Monday told an insolvency judge in London, […]
  • 21/07/2018 Bottas ‘satisfied’ with one year contract Jul.21 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas says he is determined to stay at Mercedes for more than just another season. Although the Finn consistently declared that he wants a two-year contract […]
  • 14/08/2018 No Ricciardo race wins until 2020 – Abiteboul Aug.14 (GMM) Daniel Ricciardo may not have a car to win races in 2019, the Australian's new boss has admitted. Ricciardo and Renault shocked the F1 world recently by announcing that the […]