Force India defends 2015 car delay

Jan.23 (GMM) Force India insists the decision not to debut its 2015 car at the opening Jerez test was deliberate.

The Silverstone based team, having unveiled its new livery this week by using a show-car with a 2015-style nose, will instead run the 2014 car at Jerez before the VJM08 makes its bow in Barcelona later next month.

Force India’s decision has been linked with the switch from using its own wind tunnel in Brackley to the state-of-the-art Toyota facility in Cologne.

But there are rumours the 2015 car is simply delayed, as driver Nico Hulkenberg admits heading into Jerez with the old car is “not ideal” but also “not the end of the world”.

Team technical boss Andrew Green, however, told Britain’s Sky that the delayed debut is in fact a “conscious decision we took a couple of months ago”.

“We’ve never really been a big fan of Jerez as a test track,” he explained.

“We’re happy to give it a miss, to be honest, and take the development time.”

Related News

  • 08/04/2015 Force India planning ‘B’ car for mid-season Apr.8 (GMM) Force India is planning to introduce a "B" version of its 2015 car. The Silverstone based team has had a poor start to the season, after the long-delayed VJM08 missed the […]
  • 02/11/2017 Boss admits Haas may have started 2018 car too early Nov.2 (GMM) Gunther Steiner said only time will tell if Haas' decision to abandon the 2017 car project quite early was the right one. The American team's boss made an early call this […]
  • 02/03/2015 Early points unlikely for Force India – Perez Mar.2 (GMM) Force India's drivers are expecting a difficult start to the 2015 season. The Silverstone based team ended last year on a competitive high, not far behind another similarly […]
  • 29/06/2018 Media exaggerating McLaren crisis – Alonso Jun.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says the media is exaggerating the severity of McLaren's problems. Some sections of the media say the once-great British team is in crisis, as it struggles […]
  • 29/01/2015 Force India denies rumours of financial collapse Jan.29 (GMM) Force India has denied reports it is now just the latest F1 team fighting for mere survival. The Silverstone based team took on and almost beat the British grandee McLaren […]
  • 04/03/2015 Force India admits Q2 ‘difficult’ for Melbourne Mar.4 (GMM) Force India is expecting to be near the back of the grid at next weekend's Melbourne season opener. Due to cash-flow and supplier trouble, the Silverstone based team's 2015 […]
  • 28/01/2015 F1 insider claims Force India ‘insolvent’ Jan.28 (GMM) The latest team in serious peril is Force India, according to an insider. The Silverstone based team announced on Wednesday that it is sitting out the first test of the […]
  • 20/10/2018 Force India planning new EUR 80m factory Oct.20 (GMM) Force India is planning to build a new factory. That is the claim of Auto Motor und Sport, revealing that new team owner and billionaire Lawrence Stroll is prepared to spend […]
  • 28/01/2015 Force India to sit out Jerez test Jan.28 (GMM) Force India has announced it will sit out the first winter test of 2015. It was already known that, having recently 'launched' the 2015 livery with a show-car featuring a […]
  • 25/02/2015 Force India sets Friday debut for delayed 2015 car Feb.25 (GMM) Force India has finally released a picture of its long-delayed 2015 car. Amid rumours of financial and supplier trouble, the Silverstone based team was missing at the first […]