Force India to sit out Jerez test

Jan.28 (GMM) Force India has announced it will sit out the first winter test of 2015.

It was already known that, having recently ‘launched’ the 2015 livery with a show-car featuring a new-style nose, the Silverstone based team would not test the VJM08 at Jerez beginning on Sunday.

Initially, Force India planned to run the 2014 car instead, but the team announced on Twitter on Wednesday: “We have chosen not to run the old car in Jerez.

“The learning opportunities would have been limited so the focus is now on Barcelona.”

But despite his and co-owner Subrata Roy’s off-track legal troubles, team supremo Vijay Mallya insists all is well with Force India.

“The new car has been completely developed in Cologne,” the Indian told Kolner Express newspaper, referring to the decision to use Toyota’s state of the art wind tunnel.

“It is regarded as one of the best in the world and is a big step for us,” Mallya added.

“We are proud that we were often better than McLaren last year. And once the European season begins, we want to be keeping up with the big teams,” he said.

In other news on Wednesday, Williams announced that Alex Lynn, a 21-year-old British GP3 star who until now has been in the Red Bull stable, has been signed as a development driver.

The British team said Lynn will work in the simulator and test the new FW37 after the Spanish grand prix in May.

Mercedes, meanwhile, has agreed a new sponsorship deal with Epson, the Japanese printer company whose logos will appear on the title-defending W06.

Related News

  • 29/01/2015 Force India denies rumours of financial collapse Jan.29 (GMM) Force India has denied reports it is now just the latest F1 team fighting for mere survival. The Silverstone based team took on and almost beat the British grandee McLaren […]
  • 06/02/2019 Force India now ‘Racing Point’ for 2019 Feb.6 (GMM) The Force India name is now officially gone from F1. The name began to fade over the past few years, amid Vijay Mallya and Subrata Roy's legal troubles and the team's belief […]
  • 28/06/2017 Force India to become ‘Force 1’ for 2018 – report Jun.28 (GMM) 'Force 1' has emerged as the front-running candidate as Force India prepares to change its name for 2018. Earlier in June, we reported that the Vijay Mallya-headed outfit […]
  • 03/02/2016 Force India to lose co-owner, title sponsor Sahara Feb.3 (GMM) Force India looks set to lose its major co-owner and title sponsor Sahara. The Indian conglomerate Sahara's chief, Subrata Roy, has been in a Delhi jail since 2014, and local […]
  • 08/04/2015 Force India planning ‘B’ car for mid-season Apr.8 (GMM) Force India is planning to introduce a "B" version of its 2015 car. The Silverstone based team has had a poor start to the season, after the long-delayed VJM08 missed the […]
  • 16/03/2016 Troubled Mallya set to sit out Melbourne Mar.16 (GMM) Force India deputy Bob Fernley has hinted that team owner Vijay Mallya will likely skip this weekend's 2016 season opener in Melbourne. The Indian media is searching […]
  • 29/06/2018 Media exaggerating McLaren crisis – Alonso Jun.29 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says the media is exaggerating the severity of McLaren's problems. Some sections of the media say the once-great British team is in crisis, as it struggles […]
  • 17/02/2016 Ecclestone doubts Mallya will quit F1 Feb.17 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has played down suggestions F1 could be set to lose Force India. Earlier this month, lawyers for jailed team co-owner and title sponsor Subrata Roy and his […]
  • 22/04/2016 India asks Britain to deport Mallya Apr.22 (GMM) Force India chief Vijay Mallya's legal troubles are continuing to deepen. Already, the Indian government was moving against the former billionaire over huge debts from the […]
  • 23/06/2019 McLaren to build new wind tunnel Jun.23 (GMM) McLaren has announced plans to build a new wind tunnel at its Woking headquarters. For years, the British team has used the more updated Toyota facility in Cologne to […]