Force India may miss Melbourne opener – report

Feb.2 (GMM) Rumours about the health of the Force India team are continuing to worsen.

The Silverstone based squad has not fully explained its absence from the Jerez test this week.

On social media, German driver Nico Hulkenberg posted a photo of himself training in the snow, remarking: “If I can’t be at Jerez I’m getting myself into shape at 3000m.”

And on Sunday, as his rivals pounded around Jerez, he posted another photo of himself watching the tennis on television.

Ralf Bach, a correspondent for Sport Bild and TZ Munchen who now writes on his own blog f1-insider.com, said he has learned that Force India’s Jerez absence is “because it has no monocoque” for the new VJM08 car.

He said Force India has not been delivered the 2015 monocoque by carbon supplier EOM “because bills have not been paid”.

Bach claims Force India’s overall debts are in the order of 50 million euros, including engine and tyre suppliers Mercedes and Pirelli.

“Making the season opener in Melbourne is now virtually impossible,” Bach quoted a team source as saying.

Related News

  • 28/01/2015 F1 insider claims Force India ‘insolvent’ Jan.28 (GMM) The latest team in serious peril is Force India, according to an insider. The Silverstone based team announced on Wednesday that it is sitting out the first test of the […]
  • 04/02/2015 Force India denies rumours of team collapse Feb.4 (GMM) Force India and also F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone have played down reports about the health of the Silverstone based team. Amid rumours the team is in financial trouble and […]
  • 06/01/2017 Rosberg to remain Mercedes ambassador – report Jan.6 (GMM) Nico Rosberg looks set to stay with Mercedes as a brand ambassador. The German shocked the F1 world just five days after winning his first world championship late last year […]
  • 20/02/2015 Ferrari beats McLaren to Manor’s door Feb.20 (GMM) Ferrari looks to have beaten McLaren-Honda to the reborn Manor team's door. Earlier, we reported that with the former Marussia team now exiting administration, McLaren could […]
  • 26/02/2015 Now FIA helping Manor’s quest for 2015 grid Feb.26 (GMM) F1's governing body has joined McLaren and Ferrari in actively supporting the former Marussia team's quest to return to the sport this year. Although owed millions by the […]
  • 04/02/2015 Rival teams will stop ‘Manor’ revival – report Feb.4 (GMM) Marussia's 2015 comeback could be thwarted because the team does not have a new car ready to race. It emerged on Wednesday that the backmarker team, to be known now as Manor, […]
  • 08/04/2015 Lotus on pole for Renault buyout – report Apr.8 (GMM) Lotus has reportedly moved into pole position to be taken over by the French manufacturer Renault. Dissatisfied with its current status as mere supplier to Red Bull, the […]
  • 27/01/2017 Administrator says Manor to ‘close its doors’ Jan.28 (GMM) Only ten teams will make it to the grid as the 2017 season begins in Australia in March. There were hopes the backmarker Manor could exit administration if a buyer was found […]
  • 16/01/2017 Rosberg may regret retirement decision – Berger Jan.16 (GMM) Gerhard Berger says he does not relate to Nico Rosberg's decision to quit F1 at the age of 31. Rosberg has said he called time on his career after achieving his boyhood […]
  • 08/02/2017 F1 designer worried about 2017 rules shakeup Feb.8 (GMM) A well-known F1 engineer is concerned the sport is setting off down the wrong path with its radical new rules for 2017. On social media, Carlos Sainz posted a photo […]