Van der Garde to test GP2 car on Monday

Feb.9 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde will return to the cockpit of a GP2 car this week.

The Dutchman, who debuted for Caterham in 2013, spent last year as Sauber’s reserve and was disappointed not to secure a race seat with the Swiss team for 2015.

Now, the Dutch daily De Telegraaf is reporting that the 29-year-old will test a GP2 car for the Campos team at Valencia on Monday.

Then called Addax, van der Garde drove for the team in 2010 and 2011, when his teammates were Sergio Perez and Charles Pic respectively.

He last raced in the F1 feeder series in 2012, for Caterham.

Ahead of his return to a GP2 car on Monday, van der Garde said: “I am pleased to have been invited.

“For me, this is the best way to get fit and stay in the driving rhythm.

“But my ambition is and continues to be driving in formula one,” he insisted.

Related News

  • 11/10/2015 Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year. As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde […]
  • 18/03/2015 Van der Garde camp set to outline Sauber deal Mar.18 (GMM) The Giedo van der Garde camp is set to issue details of the compensation package agreed with Sauber. The battle between the Dutch driver and his backers and the struggling […]
  • 17/03/2015 EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga. The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers […]
  • 12/03/2015 Sauber loses appeal, Perez backs van der Garde Mar.12 (GMM) Sergio Perez has sided with Giedo van der Garde over his legal dispute with Sauber. Dutchman van der Garde's court battle with Sauber has been criticised in some quarters […]
  • 09/03/2015 Van der Garde drive would be ‘dangerous’ – Sauber Mar.9 (GMM) Sauber has argued that letting Giedo van der Garde race in Melbourne would be a safety risk. On Monday, Dutch driver van der Garde's case against the Swiss team was heard by […]
  • 22/06/2017 Verstappen should ‘keep quiet’ amid rumours Jun.22 (GMM) A former F1 driver has urged Max Verstappen to "keep quiet" and "not worry", amid speculation he wants to move on from his current team Red Bull Racing. Although Dr Helmut […]
  • 14/11/2015 Pirelli signs van der Garde for test role Nov.14 (GMM) Former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde has signed with Pirelli as a test driver. The 30-year-old raced for Caterham in 2013, but is arguably now best remembered for taking […]
  • 05/04/2015 Van der Garde hopes Sauber saga ‘changes F1’ Apr.5 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde has revealed the awkwardness of his situation at the 2015 season opener, as he pressed his claim against Sauber. Ultimately, the Swiss team settled its […]
  • 19/03/2015 Sauber surprised by van der Garde ‘accusations’ Mar.19 (GMM) Sauber has admitted it was "surprised" to read ousted driver Giedo van der Garde's media statement on Wednesday. After the courtroom battle of Melbourne, the two sides have […]
  • 14/07/2015 Van der Garde eyes DTM move – report Jul.14 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde's next move in motor racing could be to German touring cars. That is the claim of the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, referring to the 30-year-old who […]