Mar.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he can “understand” why he has been sidelined for the Australian grand prix.
McLaren on Tuesday announced that, on the advice of the Spaniard’s doctors, the risk of ‘second impact syndrome’ means the 33-year-old will sit out the first race of the new Honda-powered era.
“It will be tough not to be in Australia,” Alonso told his followers on Twitter, “but I understand the recommendations.
“A second impact in less than 21 days ‘NO’,” he said. 21 days after Alonso’s February crash would be 15 March — the day of the Melbourne race.
The 21-day issue is a pertinent one. Protocol in sports such as rugby dictates that concussed athletes not play again for at least 21 days.
Lotus driver Romain Grosjean told RMC Sport that, although Alonso’s crash did not seem to be particularly heavy, fully lateral impacts are “extremely rare”.
“Almost always you crash with some sort of angle,” said the Frenchman, “resulting in damage.
“But when you hit the wall completely parallel, and the car does not break, suddenly all of the energy that is supposed to be absorbed by the carbon is absorbed completely by Fernando,” he added.
Former F1 driver Patrick Tambay agrees, even if McLaren argues that Alonso is completely uninjured.
Referring to Alonso’s advice to sit out Melbourne, the former Ferrari driver said: “It is a wise recommendation.
“Doctors tend to protect themselves as well, because in the case of another accident, they might be responsible for what happens.
“At the same time, on technical and sporting terms and what we have seen so far, it’s really not a big loss for Alonso to be on the safe side physically and then return fully fit later on,” Tambay added.
Alonso will be replaced in Melbourne by McLaren reserve Kevin Magnussen.
“Shame about the circumstances,” the Dane wrote on Twitter, “but still I’m so excited to be racing in Melbourne. Can’t wait!”
30/03/2016 FIA doctors must green-light Alonso return Mar.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso will not be cleared to race in Bahrain this weekend until a meeting with FIA doctors on Thursday. Following the Spaniard's terrifying high-speed crash in […]
28/03/2016 No surprise Alonso ‘aching’ after crash – doctor Mar.28 (GMM) It is no surprise Fernando Alonso endured a tough week in the wake of his terrifying Melbourne crash. That is the claim of Jurgen Lindemann, an FIA doctor who said the […]
13/03/2015 Magnussen ‘surprised’ after Melbourne crash Mar.13 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen swiftly took responsibility after crashing his McLaren-Honda in Melbourne practice. The Dane is filling in for Fernando Alonso this weekend, as the Spaniard […]
12/03/2015 Dennis now admits Alonso crash ‘a mystery’ Mar.12 (GMM) Ron Dennis has admitted bungling the Fernando Alonso saga, finally now joining those who agree the Barcelona test crash is a "mystery". Since the Spaniard hit the wall on […]
24/03/2015 Rumour – Alonso’s steering ‘locked’ before crash? Mar.24 (GMM) The cause of Fernando Alonso's mysterious Barcelona testing crash may now be clearer. Until now, McLaren-Honda has insisted the incident that sidelined its star driver for […]
05/03/2015 Alonso thought he was 13 after Barcelona crash Mar.5 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's most striking symptom after crashing in Barcelona eleven days ago was a total loss of memory. The Spanish daily El Pais claims that when the 33-year-old […]
09/02/2015 Good Lotus puts smile back on Grosjean Feb.9 (GMM) Romain Grosjean is once again wearing his customary smile. Having emerged from his personal 'crash-kid' crisis of 2012, the Frenchman's F1 career gathered momentum in 2013 […]
04/03/2015 Brundle questions ‘very strange’ Alonso saga Mar.4 (GMM) The world of F1 has been split down the middle by the Fernando Alonso crash saga. In one camp are those who back the official story, believing McLaren-Honda that a gust of […]