EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports

Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga.

The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers to compensation for the Dutch driver in the order of EUR 15 million, with other reports saying the money will flow from a Credit Suisse account in the coming hours.

Another daily, Algemeen Dagblad, reported that van der Garde’s manager Jan-Paul ten Hoopen will have something to say on the matter later this week.

It seems the financial compensation, calculated on the basis of van der Garde’s two contracted years at Sauber (2014 and 2015) as well as legal fees, will result in the 29-year-old dropping the case in full.

It is believed F1 supremo Ecclestone, from his office in London, got involved in the frantic negotiations last weekend as the negative headlines swirled from the Melbourne courts and paddock throughout the world.

Algemeen Dagblad said the 84-year-old Briton personally contacted fellow billionaire Marcel Boekhoorn, who is van der Garde’s backer and father-in-law.

It is rumoured part of the deal might involve Boekhoorn taking shares in the embattled Swiss team.

Related News

  • 18/03/2015 Van der Garde camp set to outline Sauber deal Mar.18 (GMM) The Giedo van der Garde camp is set to issue details of the compensation package agreed with Sauber. The battle between the Dutch driver and his backers and the struggling […]
  • 14/03/2015 Van der Garde gives up on Melbourne seat Mar.14 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde has dropped his legal action against Sauber at the Australian grand prix. The warring parties were back at court on the morning of practice and […]
  • 12/03/2015 Sauber fights for survival in Melbourne court Mar.12 (GMM) Sauber is fighting for survival in a Melbourne court. The Swiss team has appealed a local judge's ruling that Giedo van der Garde can take his rightful place on the 2015 […]
  • 11/10/2015 Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year. As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde […]
  • 23/08/2015 Van der Garde causes a stir with Spa paddock visit Aug.23 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde says he is not targeting a return to formula one. On Saturday, the Dutchman announced on social media that he is visiting the Belgian grand prix -- his […]
  • 09/03/2015 Van der Garde drive would be ‘dangerous’ – Sauber Mar.9 (GMM) Sauber has argued that letting Giedo van der Garde race in Melbourne would be a safety risk. On Monday, Dutch driver van der Garde's case against the Swiss team was heard by […]
  • 01/06/2015 Kaltenborn feared jail over van der Garde saga Jun.1 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn has admitted she feared starting her 2015 season in jail. Until now, the Sauber chief has not spoken at length about the 'Giedo van der Garde saga' that […]
  • 11/03/2015 Sauber appeals van der Garde ruling Mar.11 (GMM) Sauber is appealing a Melbourne court's ruling that Giedo van der Garde should race for the Swiss team this weekend. Earlier on Wednesday, a supreme court judge sided with […]
  • 19/03/2015 Sauber surprised by van der Garde ‘accusations’ Mar.19 (GMM) Sauber has admitted it was "surprised" to read ousted driver Giedo van der Garde's media statement on Wednesday. After the courtroom battle of Melbourne, the two sides have […]
  • 01/04/2015 Monza set for F1 rescue talks in Monaco – Capelli Apr.1 (GMM) Ivan Capelli, the new chief of the Italian grand prix organiser, has vowed to save the embattled formula one race at historic Monza. Bernie Ecclestone has blasted the current […]