Teams threatening boycott over Alonso crash – report

Mar.5 (GMM) F1 teams are threatening to boycott unless clearer information about Fernando Alonso’s mysterious testing crash is revealed.

That is the claim of the German magazine Sport Bild, after McLaren-Honda’s star driver was sidelined for next weekend’s season opener in Melbourne.

McLaren insists Alonso is completely uninjured, but he will sit out Australia after a mysterious incident saw him spend four days in hospital.

“Sport Bild has learned that several teams are thinking about not letting their drivers race in Melbourne on safety grounds,” said correspondents Ralf Bach and Bianca Garloff.

They said teams fear speculation that Alonso was rendered unconscious by an electric shock from the sport’s controversial hybrid technology may be true.

Sport Bild quoted a team boss as saying: “If a plane crashes and there is even the slightest risk that it happened because of a system fault, other planes of that type are not left in the air.”

The unnamed boss added: “Formula one has been lucky that nothing serious has happened with these hybrid systems.

“If any of my drivers had an incident, I would invite all the other teams to study the data — just so we can be sure. Honda must provide answers to the FIA.”

Another new voice calling for more information about Alonso’s mysterious crash belongs to Gian Carlo Minardi, a former team owner and boss.

“Silence in cases like these is not helpful,” he is quoted by Italy’s La Repubblica.

“In recent years, the FIA has made great strides in the area of safety and has all the tools to find out the truth.

“It would be desirable if it was known before the race in Australia,” Minardi added.

When asked about the electric shock theory, he commented: “I have no evidence to support that so I can’t comment.

“I have never worked with these power units, but I am told there are three or four fail-safe systems.

“There is this investigation of the FIA, so for the good of F1 there cannot be any classified information,” Minardi insisted.

The 67-year-old Italian, however, did say he is not surprised Alonso is sitting out Melbourne.

“No,” said Minardi, “it’s the only normal thing in this whole affair.

“He is like a boxer who went down with a heavy blow. It takes time to come back, even if all the tests were positive.”

Related News

  • 04/03/2015 Doctors ‘wise’ to sideline Alonso – Tambay Mar.4 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he can "understand" why he has been sidelined for the Australian grand prix. McLaren on Tuesday announced that, on the advice of the Spaniard's doctors, […]
  • 24/03/2015 Rumour – Alonso’s steering ‘locked’ before crash? Mar.24 (GMM) The cause of Fernando Alonso's mysterious Barcelona testing crash may now be clearer. Until now, McLaren-Honda has insisted the incident that sidelined its star driver for […]
  • 26/02/2015 Now FIA helping Manor’s quest for 2015 grid Feb.26 (GMM) F1's governing body has joined McLaren and Ferrari in actively supporting the former Marussia team's quest to return to the sport this year. Although owed millions by the […]
  • 10/07/2017 Marchionne questions plans for next F1 engines Jul.10 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne has thrown a potential spanner in the works of F1's plans for its next engine regulations. It was thought the sport was speeding towards keeping the basic […]
  • 23/02/2015 Wild speculation follows mysterious Alonso crash Feb.23 (GMM) Fernando Alonso's testing crash has triggered wild speculation about the cause. So far, McLaren is saying nothing except that it was a "normal" crash necessitating medical […]
  • 23/12/2015 McLaren-Honda can find ‘seconds’ this winter – Boullier Dec.23 (GMM) Eric Boullier says it is possible McLaren-Honda's leap over the winter will amount to multiple seconds per lap. It was Fernando Alonso who made the original claim that, […]
  • 07/06/2016 F1’s next safety push is ‘biometrics’ – FIA Jun.7 (GMM) The next step in safety for formula one will be biometrics, the FIA has revealed. In the latest edition of the governing body's in-house magazine Auto, the FIA released some […]
  • 15/12/2016 F1 should consider new engines for 2020 – Brawn Dec.15 (GMM) Ross Brawn has admitted F1 should consider taking a sharp turn with its engine regulations for 2020. The retired former Ferrari and Mercedes chief has been linked with a […]
  • 09/03/2015 Electric shock theory will not go away Mar.9 (GMM) Now just days before the start of the season, the now-rampant doubts about Fernando Alonso's mysterious testing crash will not go away. Previously, suggestions there is more […]
  • 26/07/2018 Red Bull not questioning Ferrari legality Jul.26 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko says Red Bull is not joining those who are pointing fingers of suspicion at Ferrari. For the first time in the 'power unit' era, Ferrari is now clearly ahead […]