Van der Garde camp set to outline Sauber deal

Mar.18 (GMM) The Giedo van der Garde camp is set to issue details of the compensation package agreed with Sauber.

The battle between the Dutch driver and his backers and the struggling Swiss team raged in the Melbourne courts, but suddenly ended before qualifying for the 2015 season opener.

Some sensed the intervening hand of Bernie Ecclestone, others the deep pockets of Peter Sauber or Felipe Nasr and Marcus Ericsson’s concerned backers.

Another rumour is that van der Garde’s main backer and father-in-law Marcel Boekhoorn, a billionaire, will end up owning a stake in the 22-year-old F1 team.

Dutch media reports on Tuesday suggested the financial compensation package amounted to EUR 15 million — the full cost of van der Garde’s 2014-2015 contract, plus legal costs.

“Tomorrow (Wednesday) or the day after,” van der Garde’s manager Jan-Paul ten Hoopen told De Telegraaf newspaper, “we will publish information.”

A spokesman for Sauber, meanwhile, told the Swiss broadcaster Schweizer Radio und Fernsehen on Tuesday: “We are pleased that the matter is settled.

“As to the details, we cannot comment for reasons of confidentiality, and we will not engage in speculation,” he added.

Related News

  • 13/04/2015 Founder says Sauber ‘future’ back on track Apr.13 (GMM) Having emerged from the comfort of his pre-season low profile, Peter Sauber is now declaring confidently: "We're back." In recent times, the Swiss team's 71-year-old founder […]
  • 11/10/2015 Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year. As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde […]
  • 17/03/2015 EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga. The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers […]
  • 28/03/2015 Sutil’s legal issues with Sauber ‘not resolved’ – manager Mar.28 (GMM) Adrian Sutil's legal dispute with Sauber is still ongoing. Late last year, although both the German driver as well as Giedo van der Garde had already signed contracts for […]
  • 09/03/2015 Van der Garde drive would be ‘dangerous’ – Sauber Mar.9 (GMM) Sauber has argued that letting Giedo van der Garde race in Melbourne would be a safety risk. On Monday, Dutch driver van der Garde's case against the Swiss team was heard by […]
  • 14/03/2015 Van der Garde gives up on Melbourne seat Mar.14 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde has dropped his legal action against Sauber at the Australian grand prix. The warring parties were back at court on the morning of practice and […]
  • 03/06/2015 Sauber still looking to improve in 2015 Jun.3 (GMM) Sauber is not resting on its laurels, having recovered from its disastrous 2014 season. "Yes, 2014 was a disaster," admitted team boss and co-owner Monisha Kaltenborn. 2015, […]
  • 11/03/2015 Van der Garde denies being ‘unprepared’ for Sauber seat Mar.11 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde on Wednesday declared himself "happy, fit and ready to drive" this weekend in Melbourne. A local court has ruled that the Dutchman can take his place at […]
  • 12/03/2015 Sauber fights for survival in Melbourne court Mar.12 (GMM) Sauber is fighting for survival in a Melbourne court. The Swiss team has appealed a local judge's ruling that Giedo van der Garde can take his rightful place on the 2015 […]
  • 16/03/2015 Peter Sauber defends Kaltenborn after Melbourne saga Mar.16 (GMM) Team founder Peter Sauber has defended Monisha Kaltenborn after the courtroom debacle of the team's 2015 season opener. Ultimately, Indian-born Kaltenborn was smiling as the […]