Ecclestone approves ‘human rights policy’ for F1

Apr.16 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone has made a sharp U-turn on his approach to this year’s Bahrain grand prix.

Now some years after the violent civil uprising in the island Kingdom, Bahrain remains a controversial stop on the annual F1 calendar.

Indeed, there is still unrest, with reports 21 activists were arrested this week by government forces who fired tear gas on the eve of F1 practice, while human rights groups continue to voice concerns.

But The Times reports that F1 supremo Ecclestone is changing tack for 2015, approving a “policy document” that commits the sport to recognising “human rights at all of its 20 venues around the world”.

“The new guidelines also mean that the sport will operate a policy of ‘due diligence’ before signing up new hosts,” the British newspaper added.

Back in 2012, Ecclestone dismissed the Bahrain controversy by saying it has “nothing to do with formula one”.

“We don’t go into a country and interfere with their politics,” he told CNN. “I don’t think sport should.”

But the Formula One Group confirmed this week that formula one is now “committed to respecting internationally recognised human rights in its operations globally”.

Related News

  • 14/04/2015 Sandstorm hits Bahrain Apr.14 (GMM) A sandstorm has welcomed the world of formula one to Bahrain. As the sport left Shanghai and headed for the Persian Gulf's island Kingdom, the local meteorological bureau […]
  • 19/04/2015 Baku good ‘replacement’ for Monza – Ecclestone Apr.19 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday confirmed F1's newest host nation is Azerbaijan. It was already known that the sport's chief executive had inked a deal for a street race in […]
  • 11/04/2017 Honda to test new engine in Bahrain – report Apr.11 (GMM) Honda is working hard to have a new specification of its struggling 2017 engine ready to test after Bahrain. After the China-Bahrain double header, teams will remain on the […]
  • 07/04/2016 Amid political tension, F1 to meet on Thursday Apr.7 (GMM) Amid a poisonously political climate in F1, the sport's stakeholders will get together on Thursday in yet another bid to fix the 2016 qualifying format debacle. The meeting […]
  • 16/04/2016 Todt should let F1 war go to court – Mosley Apr.16 (GMM) Jean Todt's predecessor says the Frenchman should put formula one back on the right track by having the current agreements challenged in court. Amid a poisonous political […]
  • 22/01/2015 Dominant Mercedes ‘stressed’ ahead of 2015 – Lauda Jan.22 (GMM) Although Mercedes utterly dominated in 2014, team chairman Niki Lauda is still looking into the new season with trepidation. For one thing, the F1 legend and triple world […]
  • 26/05/2018 FIA boss Todt ‘neglects F1’ – Ecclestone May 26 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has lashed out at Jean Todt. Ousted by Liberty Media at the beginning of last year, the 87-year-old admitted to being "worried about the […]
  • 19/02/2015 Bottas preferred Bahrain over Barcelona Feb.19 (GMM) Valtteri Bottas has lamented the end of winter testing in the island Kingdom of Bahrain. Previously, F1 teams made the pre-season trip to the Middle East to avoid Europe's […]
  • 03/04/2016 Bosses to meet again over qualifying saga Apr.3 (GMM) The farcical qualifying format saga is set to run and run, with bosses on Sunday only agreeing the date of the next meeting. The team chiefs got together before the Bahrain […]
  • 27/09/2015 Wolff not denying Merc TV snub by Ecclestone Sep.27 (GMM) Rumours that Bernie Ecclestone ordered a 'TV blackout' of a team have resurfaced after the Japanese grand prix. The first time rumours of this nature began to swirl was in […]