Ferrari not missing Alonso – Trulli

Apr.1 (GMM) Ferrari will not be missing its departed number 1 driver Fernando Alonso.

That is the view of the Spaniard’s former Renault teammate Jarno Trulli, who today can be found running his own team in the new Formula E series.

After five years of trying to win the title, Alonso left Ferrari at the end of last season to join the struggling McLaren-Honda project.

But Italian Trulli, 40, said Ferrari will not be missing him after Alonso’s replacement, Sebastian Vettel, won the Malaysian grand prix against the odds.

“Sebastian brought a freshness to the team that had been lost because it did not have the best relationship with Alonso.

“I have worked with Alonso,” Trulli told the Italian newspaper Tuttosport, “and he is difficult to work with.

“Now as a manager of a team, I would prefer Vettel,” he added.

Trulli admitted, however, that he would never have predicted the race victory in Malaysia for Ferrari and Vettel.

“I would not have bet a penny on it at the start of the season,” said the former Toyota driver. “From here they can start to breath down Mercedes’ neck.

“For Mercedes too I think it was very unexpected, but I have a feeling they will have some cards to play at the next race. The next grand prix will tell us a lot,” added Trulli.

Related News

  • 26/03/2015 Williams confirms Bottas return Mar.26 (GMM) Williams on Thursday confirmed Valtteri Bottas' return to action in Malaysia. The Finn sat out the Melbourne season opener with a torn disc in his lower back, but has since […]
  • 30/03/2015 Raikkonen has full support of Arrivabene Mar.30 (GMM) After two races in 2015, Ferrari is happy with its driver lineup. Having struggled alongside Fernando Alonso last year, Kimi Raikkonen went into the last year of his current […]
  • 04/05/2015 Catching Mercedes will take ‘a while’ – Vettel May 4 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel has admitted that Ferrari continues to trail F1 pacesetter Mercedes. At the wheel of his resurgent red car, the German won the Malaysian grand prix while […]
  • 25/09/2015 Alonso may leave F1 to find winning car – Briatore Sep.25 (GMM) If Fernando Alonso cannot return to having a winning car, he will seek it outside of formula one. That is the stark warning issued by Flavio Briatore, who signed up the […]
  • 30/03/2015 Alonso upbeat after happy Ferrari moves on Mar.30 (GMM) Fernando Alonso insists his first race with McLaren-Honda went better than expected. Earlier in Malaysia, the Spaniard told reporters he would prefer not to let the world […]
  • 02/10/2017 Malaysia may return to F1 in future – PM Oct.2 (GMM) Sunday's Malaysian grand prix may not have been the last at Sepang. That is the view of the country's prime minister Najib Razak, who was speaking as many F1 insiders sadly […]
  • 28/04/2017 Sepang boss slams Ecclestone, Liberty Apr.28 (GMM) Malaysia grand prix chief Razlan Razali has hit out at former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone ahead of Sepang's last race in October. For cost reasons, the government has […]
  • 26/10/2016 Sepang will still host 2017 Malaysia GP Oct.26 (GMM) Race organisers have admitted that scrapping the Malaysian grand prix would have legal ramifications. Government and Sepang circuit chiefs this week have flagged the […]
  • 28/10/2016 Malaysia should back drivers, not race – minister Oct.28 (GMM) Money currently put into hosting an annual grand prix could instead support Malaysian drivers pushing to break into F1. That is the claim of Malaysian sports minister Khairy […]
  • 25/10/2016 Sepang says no quick decision over GP ‘break’ Oct.25 (GMM) Sepang, the host of the Malaysian grand prix, has warned there will be no quick decision over the future of the race near Kuala Lumpur. Sports minister Khairy Jamaluddin […]