Renault can catch up without rule change

Apr.9 (GMM) Renault insists it will not argue for a change of rules to help it catch up with F1’s pacesetters.

After Mercedes utterly dominated last year as the new turbo V6 era began, Ferrari has demonstrated already in 2015 that it has caught up.

“I hope we have a race with those guys (Ferrari),” championship leader Lewis Hamilton, beaten two weeks ago by Sebastian Vettel in Malaysia, said ahead of the Chinese grand prix.

“They are just as quick as us on the straights and they had amazing pace in the last race,” he told Sky.

Conspicuously lagging behind, however, is Renault, as works partner Red Bull suggests the French manufacturer even made a “retrograde” step compared to 2014.

Red Bull has arguing stridently for a change of rules, or ‘equalisation’ measures, fearing the status quo could see it and Renault permanently stranded.

But Renault’s F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul insists it can catch up, “And for that we need no change in the regulations,” he argued, according to Speed Week.

“I would never ask for a change in the regulations to catch up with a competitor,” he insisted.

“I see no reason why we cannot come up to the level of Mercedes. It’s just a matter of time,” said the Frenchman.

Indeed, after an admittedly bad start in Melbourne, Renault says it upped its game for Malaysia and is set to improve yet further this weekend in China.

“Performance was improved in Malaysia, although we did keep some in reserve to safeguard reliability,” said operations chief Remi Taffin.

“Now we are getting more confident in this area we can afford to be more aggressive and we should see better results on the straights, with a higher top speed,” he added.

Abiteboul continued: “In Malaysia, we improved in terms of driveability but it was not possible to solve all the problems between Melbourne and Sepang.

“I would say we have solved 60 per cent of the problems, but that has already made a huge difference.”

Red Bull boss Christian Horner said in Malaysia that the thought of Shanghai’s extremely long straights was “depressing”, given Renault’s problems.

But Abiteboul said: “I do not think we will be miles behind Mercedes. We can see that from our simulations. We know what to do.”

Related News

  • 30/03/2015 Ferrari says Mercedes still has best car Mar.30 (GMM) Although disappointed, Toto Wolff had to chuckle late on Sunday when asked if Malaysia signalled the "end of an era" in formula one. Although it was somewhat of a jibe at […]
  • 13/02/2019 Mercedes dominance could now be over – Rosberg Feb.13 (GMM) Nico Rosberg thinks Mercedes' utter dominance of the 'power unit' era may finally be over. Before retiring, Rosberg won the 2016 title for the German team. And since 2014, […]
  • 05/10/2017 Red Bull strength ‘good for Vettel’ – Marko Oct.5 (GMM) Dr Helmut Marko thinks Red Bull's strength could play into the hands of former team driver Sebastian Vettel this weekend at Suzuka. Current Red Bull driver Max Verstappen won […]
  • 06/10/2017 Drivers confident of Ferrari turbo fix Oct.6 (GMM) Ferrari's drivers say the team has fixed a technical problem that ruined their weekend in Malaysia. The Italian team looked strongest overall at Sepang, but Sebastian Vettel […]
  • 01/10/2017 Vettel will not give up title fight – Lauda Oct.1 (GMM) Mercedes is not expecting Sebastian Vettel to give up in the 2017 title fight. After Singapore, the German's chances already took a big hit with his first corner crash. And […]
  • 02/10/2017 Stroll crash could cost Vettel at Suzuka – Lauda Oct.2 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel's title hopes look set to take yet another hit, after a bizarre post-race incident in Malaysia. It had already been a horror weekend for Ferrari, with Vettel […]
  • 21/09/2016 Hamilton must hit back in Malaysia – Lauda Sep.21 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton must hit back hard at championship rival and teammate Nico Rosberg next weekend in Malaysia. That is the view of Mercedes team chairman Niki Lauda, who told […]
  • 05/04/2015 Both drivers attended pre-China meeting – Lauda Apr.5 (GMM) Mercedes is pulling together to fend off the new threat posed by Ferrari. Sebastian Vettel's Sepang win was a shock to the formerly-dominant reigning champions, prompting a […]
  • 05/10/2017 Vettel unlikely to win 2017 title – Jochen Mass Oct.5 (GMM) Lewis Hamilton is now on a march towards the 2017 title. That is the view of former F1 driver Jochen Mass, who nonetheless thinks Ferrari and Sebastian Vettel have put up a […]
  • 10/10/2017 Marchionne still believes in Vettel title Oct.10 (GMM) Sergio Marchionne insists Ferrari's 2017 title charge is not over. That is despite the fact the partisan Italian press thinks Sebastian Vettel's campaign went up in smoke in […]