May 1 (GMM) The decision to sit out Le Mans this year was also taken by Fernando Alonso himself, McLaren insists.
This week, during the three-week lull between grands prix, the media has taken a moment to consider the reasons for the demise of Alonso’s 2015 Le Mans plans.
Late last year, it seemed certain that the Spaniard would be joining his friend Mark Webber and Force India’s Nico Hulkenberg in a F1 super-team lineup for Porsche at the fabled 24 hour endurance race this year.
Finland’s Ilta Sanomat claimed Alonso was banned by his new team McLaren, following the horror crash suffered by Australian Webber at the wheel of the Porsche at Interlagos in late November.
Indeed, part of Alonso’s 2015 programme would have included the Spa 6-hour race, which is taking place this weekend.
In practice for that very race, former F1 driver Kazuki Nakajima has fractured a vertebra after crashing his Toyota in Belgium.
The Spanish sports daily Marca, meanwhile, claims a phantom scheduling clash late last year scuppered Alonso’s Le Mans deal, when the now-defunct Korean grand prix was initially scheduled to take place this first weekend in May.
A McLaren spokesman told us: “The decision for Fernando not to race at Le Mans was taken mutually by us at McLaren and Fernando himself.”
01/06/2015 F1 drivers ‘all looking to Le Mans’ – Dumas Jun.1 (GMM) F1 drivers are now taking the world of prototype sports cars seriously. That is the claim of Romain Dumas, a French driver who races for Porsche in the increasingly […]
12/11/2018 ‘Only goal’ is sports car title – Alonso Nov.12 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says his "only goal" for now is winning the world endurance championship. The Spaniard is retiring from F1 but already signed up to do the Indy 500 and Le […]
26/01/2018 Alonso says Le Mans chances ’50-50′ for 2018 Jan.26 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says it is "50-50" whether he will race this year at Le Mans. Currently, the Spaniard - having contested the Indy 500 last year - is preparing for his […]
12/06/2015 Le Mans for ‘real men’ – Hulkenberg Jun.12 (GMM) Le Mans is a circuit for "real men" of motor racing. That is the claim of Nico Hulkenberg, who has qualified a strong third overall for his debut in the fabled 24 hour race […]
15/10/2015 Boss says F1 calendar ‘attack’ on Le Mans Oct.15 (GMM) Le Mans chief Gerard Neveu says F1's re-jigged calendar for 2016 is "a clear attack" on the fabled 24 hour endurance race. FIA president Jean Todt has already approved and […]
08/05/2015 Hulkenberg ‘no F1 critic’ after Porsche debut May 8 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has played down his reported deliberations over a full-time future at Le Mans. Between Bahrain and Barcelona, the German made his world endurance sports car […]
20/02/2018 Alonso defends ‘impossible’ 2018 schedule Feb.20 (GMM) Fernando Alonso says he has no concerns about being able to cope with an unprecedentedly busy racing programme in 2018. Alongside F1's longest-ever season of 21 races, the […]
11/11/2017 Alonso poised to announce 2018 Le Mans foray Nov.11 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has refused to deny reports he will definitely contest the fabled Le Mans 24 hour race next year. With an eye on motor racing's famous 'triple crown', the […]
01/02/2018 WEC eyeing calendar tweak for Alonso Feb.1 (GMM) The world endurance sports car championship is reportedly considering changing the date of a key race so that Fernando Alonso can take part. This week, McLaren announced that […]