Second chance likely for struggling Kvyat

May 7 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat looks set to be given a second chance to shine at Red Bull.

After his meteoric debut at the mere age of 19 for the junior team Toro Rosso last year, the confident Russian was promoted to replace the Ferrari-bound quadruple world champion Sebastian Vettel for 2015.

Kvyat’s start at the former championship winning team, however, has been almost as disastrous as it was anonymous.

It has even triggered early rumours that, now just 21, Kvyat could be dispensed at the end of the year to make room for Red Bull’s new teen sensation Max Verstappen.

But team boss Christian Horner says Red Bull-Renault is taking the blame at the moment, also excusing Daniel Ricciardo as the pair struggle so far in 2015.

“Daniel Ricciardo’s still smiling as much as he ever has done and young Kvyat, again, has had a tough hand at the moment, yet is not letting it get to him,” he said.

Former Red Bull driver Mark Webber, meanwhile, also thinks it is too early to write off Kvyat, indicating he thinks the real judgement should wait until later.

He told Sport360 that Australian countryman Ricciardo, however, has already proved his talent.

“You don’t win too many races by fluking them,” said Webber, referring to Ricciardo’s standout season in 2014. “He’s clearly got very good pedigree.

“Daniil, time will tell whether he can operate at that level week in week out towards the end of this year. They (Red Bull) will be back next year,” he predicted.

Red Bull, however, is unveiling a significant upgrade package for Barcelona, reportedly centred around a radically-short nose for the RB11 car.

And Renault is also pushing on, announcing a “modified spec” of its troubled turbo V6 for the Spanish grand prix weekend.

Horner said: “We want to try and make a good step forward over the coming races and try and put Williams, and maybe even Ferrari, under a bit of pressure.”

But Webber thinks the real sights have already been turned to 2016.

“Red Bull want to be fighting for a world championship next year,” he said. “If there’s any positives about having a brutal season, it’s that you can cut your losses and focus on next year’s car.”

Related News

  • 13/03/2019 Ricciardo refused to be no.2 to Verstappen – Hill Mar.13 (GMM) 1996 world champion Damon Hill has backed Daniel Ricciardo's Red Bull exit. Ricciardo's Australian countryman Mark Webber said Ricciardo deciding to join Renault for 2019 […]
  • 06/12/2018 Horner sad to farewell Ricciardo Dec.6 (GMM) Christian Horner admits he is sad that Daniel Ricciardo has left Red Bull. The team boss said Australian Ricciardo alongside Max Verstappen was "the best duo in the history" […]
  • 11/07/2017 Red Bull writes off 2017 championship Jul.11 (GMM) Christian Horner has backed frustrated team driver Max Verstappen in declaring the 2017 world championship basically over for Red Bull. After yet another technical […]
  • 05/05/2016 Kvyat, Verstappen to swap seats for Barcelona May 5 (GMM) Red Bull Racing has ousted Daniil Kvyat and replaced him with Max Verstappen ahead of the Spanish grand prix next weekend. F1today.net, a Dutch website, had cited 'various […]
  • 14/12/2015 Vettel not sure Verstappen ready for Ferrari Dec.14 (GMM) Sebastian Vettel is not sure F1 teen sensation Max Verstappen is ready for a Ferrari seat. Showered with praise and awards at the end of his exciting and impressive rookie […]
  • 07/02/2019 Gasly in ‘best situation’ next to Verstappen Feb.7 (GMM) Pierre Gasly says he is in the "best situation" to have Max Verstappen as his 2019 teammate. This week, Red Bull team boss Christian Horner declared that Verstappen is the […]
  • 05/02/2019 Gasly ‘under scrutiny’ in 2019 – Marko Feb.5 (GMM) Pierre Gasly has Red Bull's full support, but he must perform if he wants to keep his race seat at the senior F1 team. That is the warning of Dr Helmut Marko, who runs Red […]
  • 21/09/2017 Sainz can race for Red Bull in 2019 – report Sep.21 (GMM) Carlos Sainz could wind up at Red Bull's senior F1 team in 2019. It is already known that the Spaniard will move from the energy drink company's junior team, Toro Rosso, to […]
  • 10/07/2017 Horner tips Red Bull to keep Kvyat Jul.10 (GMM) Daniil Kvyat is on track to stay at Toro Rosso in 2018. That is the view of Red Bull Racing boss Christian Horner, even though the Russian was criticised on all sides for […]
  • 12/06/2015 Renault plays down fifth engine penalties Jun.12 (GMM) Renault has played down the impact of the ten-place grid penalties now being served by its F1 customers. The penalties are due to the sport's long-life engine rules, this […]