Report links Manor with Honda switch

Jun.15 (GMM) Backmarker Manor is emerging as the front-runner to become Honda’s first F1 customer.

The Japanese carmaker returned to F1 in 2015 as the works partner for McLaren, with whom it dominated the sport some decades ago.

Honda decided to focus only on McLaren this year, but F1 boss Yasuhisa Arai said recently he was open to adding a customer for 2016.

“If (other) teams want to use our engine or power unit,” he said in February, “we can deliver that.”

But the opening third of the 2015 season has been difficult for Honda, as it struggles with reliability and performance under the new turbo V6 ‘power unit’ regulations.

Manor, however, could be a potential customer for Honda, Speed Week reports.

Currently, the team is powered by year-old Ferrari engines in the wake of the Marussia collapse and resurrection.

But Manor appears to have now stopped treading water, hiring the highly experienced Bob Bell as advisor and said to be focusing its efforts on an all-new car for 2016.

“We’re in a very rapid period of rebuilding,” said president Graeme Lowdon.

Another notable signing by Manor recently was Luca Furbatto, most recently the chief designer at Toro Rosso.

But before that, he spent ten years at McLaren, including as project leader of the 2011 car.

“Luca is a guy with a huge amount of experience,” said Lowdon, “so that’s going to strengthen the design side of the business.”

Rumours of a link between McLaren-Honda and Manor are not new, although Woking has denied it wants to set up a ‘B’ team.

But it should be noted that McLaren is still owed money from the Marussia collapse, with documents late last year showing a debt of $11 million.

McLaren is also looking to advance the burgeoning careers of its junior drivers Kevin Magnussen, the 2015 reserve, and current GP2 series leader Stoffel Vandoorne.

Related News

  • 16/06/2015 McLaren and Honda play down Manor rumours Jun.16 (GMM) McLaren and Honda have played down speculation linking Manor with a supply of Japanese power for 2016. Honda, returning to F1 this year, decided to focus exclusively on […]
  • 22/02/2017 F1 team could ‘do a Brawn’ – Palmer Feb.22 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer is not ruling out the possibility a F1 team could "do a Brawn" in 2017. He is referring to 2009, when after Honda suddenly withdrew from F1, Ross Brawn's new […]
  • 16/10/2018 Verstappen unfair to only blame Renault – Bell Oct.16 (GMM) Bob Bell says it's not fair of Max Verstappen to blame all of Red Bull's problems on the Renault engine. Bell, a leading technical official at the French manufacturer, is […]
  • 21/06/2015 Honda not ready for second F1 team Jun.21 (GMM) Honda has backed away from speculation it is ready to supply a second team with engines in 2016. The Japanese carmaker has said consistently since returning to the sport […]
  • 12/09/2016 Engine survived big Magnussen crash – report Sep.12 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen looks set to re-use the power unit that was aboard his Renault when he crashed heavily at Eau Rouge recently. The car was destroyed and the Dane needed a […]
  • 01/06/2015 Manor signs up Bob Bell Jun.1 (GMM) Backmarker Manor on Monday said it has signed up highly-respected F1 manager and engineer Bob Bell. Ulsterman Bell resigned as Mercedes' technical director a year ago, […]
  • 21/02/2015 McLaren admits Melbourne approaching too quickly Feb.21 (GMM) For F1's top teams, 2015 is a case of putting the troublesome first year of the new turbo V6 era in the past and setting sights on closing the big gap to Mercedes. It is bad […]
  • 24/01/2017 Honda aims for top engine makers in 2017 Jan.24 (GMM) Honda is aiming to push towards F1 'power unit' pacesetters Mercedes and Ferrari in 2017. Almost certainly the least impressive performer among its engine manufacturer peers […]
  • 07/03/2018 Vandoorne concerned as McLaren problems continue Mar.7 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne has expressed some concern as a difficult winter for McLaren continues. After a troubled opening test, the British team's new Renault-powered car struck […]
  • 11/05/2017 Sauber ‘not worried’ about 2018 Honda switch May 11 (GMM) Monisha Kaltenborn says she is confident Sauber will be more competitive next year with Honda power. Currently, the Swiss team is struggling with year-old Ferrari power […]