Russia GP plays down bankrupt promoter reports

Jun.3 (GMM) The Russian grand prix has hit back at reports that its promoter is bankrupt.

Early this week, a Russian court declared that the government-owned ‘Formula Sochi’ company is bankrupt, even though a contract to host the race through 2020 is still in place.

But race organisers have hit back, insisting that the actual promoter since 2013 is OJSC Center Omega.

In a statement, the liquidation of Formula Sochi was confirmed, but Omega said it was not only in charge of the construction of Sochi Autodrom but also “the race-staging contract”.

“It (Omega) also has had the personnel and the finances required,” Omega added.

“The preparations for the (2015) Russian GP are well under way,” the statement concluded.

Forbes’ F1 business journalist Christian Sylt says Russia pays an estimated $44 million per year to host the grand prix, with Bernie Ecclestone having negotiated directly with president Vladimir Putin.

Related News

  • 29/04/2016 Russia GP night race talks still on Apr.29 (GMM) Talks are still on track for Sochi to switch to a night race format in the future. Last year, it was reported the Russian organisers, supported by president Vladimir Putin, […]
  • 30/04/2016 Russia GP secure with Putin’s backing – Ecclestone Apr.30 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Russia will stay on the F1 schedule so long as it has the backing of Vladimir Putin. The F1 supremo is an avowed admirer of the controversial Russian […]
  • 02/06/2015 Russian GP company bankrupt – reports Jun.2 (GMM) A company involved in the Russian grand prix has been declared bankrupt. Media outlets including the Spanish agency EFE said Formula Sochi, owned by the government, was […]
  • 12/10/2015 Russia could stage first F1 night race in 2016 Oct.12 (GMM) The chances the Russian grand prix could switch immediately to a night-race format stepped up a notch on Sunday. As recently as mere days ago, Sochi race officials insisted […]
  • 12/10/2015 Cregan wants quick decision over Sochi night race Oct.12 (GMM) Richard Cregan wants a decision to be made quickly if next year's Russian grand prix is going to be held under floodlights. Earlier, we reported that Russian deputy prime […]
  • 01/10/2016 Sochi promoter denies 2017 race doubts Oct.1 (GMM) Russian grand prix promoter Sergey Vorobyov has denied that Sochi is another race that could be endangered for 2017. The FIA has now released a 21-race 2017 calendar that […]
  • 07/12/2015 Organiser denies 2016 Russia GP in doubt Dec.7 (GMM) The future of the Russian grand prix is secure, race organiser Sergei Vorobyov insists. "The F1 round at Sochi is (secure) for many years to come and we know this for sure," […]
  • 03/05/2017 Ecclestone happy with Ferrari-Mercedes fight May 3 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the best thing about the sport's new era is that there is finally a fight at the front. Invited as a guest of the respective […]
  • 03/05/2016 Russia not ready for more F1 races – minister May 3 (GMM) Russia's sports minister has played down suggestions the country might add another annual grand prix to the F1 calendar. F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone said at Sochi last […]
  • 02/11/2016 Official doubts Ecclestone to be ousted Nov.2 (GMM) A key F1 official has played down reports that Bernie Ecclestone looks set to be sidelined. It emerged this week that former Ferrari and Mercedes chief Ross Brawn could soon […]