Sauber waiting until Spa for new Ferrari

Jun.21 (GMM) Sauber has denied claims it cannot afford to run the latest version of Ferrari’s power unit.

When Ferrari’s token-upgraded new specification made its bow in Canada, Felipe Nasr said the Swiss team was “not happy” it had not been made available to customer Sauber.

But Sauber chief Monisha Kaltenborn said her engineers are simply running a different strategy to Ferrari.

“We are told that Ferrari is still continuing its development,” she is quoted by Italy’s Autosprint, “so from that point of view we expect a big upgrade on the engine after the summer break.

“When that happens, it will come when we also hope to introduce a package of important updates on the car,” said Kaltenborn.

In reality, however, that means Sauber is four races behind its supplier Ferrari when it comes to getting the latest power unit.

Surely that cannot really be the small team’s plan?

“It has nothing to do with finances,” Kaltenborn insisted. “It is our strategy and what is best for us. We are on our second engine and Ferrari has used the third, so they have a different programme.

“It is a different approach when you need to go back to an older engine later on,” she added, referring to Ferrari’s apparent plan.

Related News

  • 18/08/2015 Nasr says Ferrari upgrade includes ‘more power’ Aug.18 (GMM) Sauber will finally get its hands on Ferrari's updated engine this weekend in Belgium. Already improved going into the 2015 season, Ferrari has continued to make progress […]
  • 16/07/2019 Next Honda upgrade could match Mercedes power – report Jul.16 (GMM) Honda looks set to match the power of Mercedes' title winning engine with its next upgrade. After Max Verstappen won in Austria, Red Bull is now hoping Honda's 'spec four' […]
  • 21/08/2015 Sauber not worried about future with Ferrari Aug.21 (GMM) Sauber is not worried it will become Ferrari's last priority in 2016 and beyond. Already this year, the Swiss team has had to wait until this weekend's Belgian grand prix […]
  • 22/04/2015 Sauber denies testing new Ferrari engine Apr.22 (GMM) Sauber has denied it ran Ferrari's next-specification engine during the 2015 winter test season. Following reports Ferrari is planning to introduce a new specification of […]
  • 28/07/2017 Palmer says Kubica no threat for 2017 Jul.28 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer says he is keeping his Renault seat for the rest of 2017. Former F1 star Robert Kubica is in Hungary this weekend, where after the race he will test Renault's […]
  • 27/04/2018 Stroll rejects Massa comments Apr.27 (GMM) Lance Stroll has played down comments made by Felipe Massa about the struggling Williams team. Last year, the pair were teamed together at the once-great British outfit, but […]
  • 14/09/2015 Nasr won’t copy Ericsson in changing approach Sep.14 (GMM) Felipe Nasr sounds determined to hit back at his teammate Marcus Ericsson. After a strong start for Brazilian rookie Nasr, it is Ericsson who has wrestled back the […]
  • 01/05/2015 Massa intends to stay at Williams May 1 (GMM) Felipe Massa says he has no plans to leave Williams or formula one at the end of the season. Many believe that, in the wake of his near-fatal 2009 crash, the Brazilian never […]
  • 01/06/2017 Wolff sympathises amid Ferrari controversy Jun.1 (GMM) Toto Wolff has joined those who are rejecting the Ferrari 'team orders' conspiracy. Ferrari has denied that it deliberately disadvantaged Kimi Raikkonen through pit strategy […]
  • 26/08/2016 Sauber looks to rebuild tattered team Aug.26 (GMM) Sauber is starting to rebuild its tattered organisation after almost succumbing to financial woes in 2016. The Swiss team has been bought out and rescued by a mysterious […]