Van der Garde eyes DTM move – report

Jul.14 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde’s next move in motor racing could be to German touring cars.

That is the claim of the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf, referring to the 30-year-old who early this year became embroiled in a high-profile legal spat with Sauber over a 2015 race seat.

But fellow Dutchman Ernest Knoors, who runs the BMW Team Mtek outfit, is unsure van der Garde can so easily rebuild his racing career in DTM.

“Giedo definitely has the ability,” he said, “but you also have to have the contacts.

“Giedo has in recent years put all his cards on formula one,” Knoors added.

In other news, Manor racer Roberto Merhi will head into next weekend’s Hungarian grand prix under a cloud, following a serious incident.

The Spaniard is this year splitting his time between F1 and Formula Renault 3.5, and as he crossed the line during a race in the latter series in Austria last weekend, he inexplicably slowed on the finish line and was struck at high speed from behind.

Race organisers banned Merhi, 24, from the second race of the weekend.

“(Lewis) Hamilton almost stopped at Silverstone,” he argued, according to Spain’s El Confidencial, “and no one said anything.”

Related News

  • 23/08/2015 Van der Garde causes a stir with Spa paddock visit Aug.23 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde says he is not targeting a return to formula one. On Saturday, the Dutchman announced on social media that he is visiting the Belgian grand prix -- his […]
  • 12/01/2016 Van der Garde returns to racing in 2016 Jan.12 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde is putting the Sauber scandal of 2015 behind him as he returns to racing this season. The Dutchman's bid to race in formula one last year famously ended […]
  • 22/06/2017 Verstappen should ‘keep quiet’ amid rumours Jun.22 (GMM) A former F1 driver has urged Max Verstappen to "keep quiet" and "not worry", amid speculation he wants to move on from his current team Red Bull Racing. Although Dr Helmut […]
  • 14/11/2015 Pirelli signs van der Garde for test role Nov.14 (GMM) Former F1 driver Giedo van der Garde has signed with Pirelli as a test driver. The 30-year-old raced for Caterham in 2013, but is arguably now best remembered for taking […]
  • 11/10/2015 Van der Garde right to attack Sauber – Ecclestone Oct.11 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says Giedo van der Garde was right to pursue Sauber in the courts earlier this year. As the 2015 season began in Melbourne, Dutch driver van der Garde […]
  • 09/02/2015 Van der Garde to test GP2 car on Monday Feb.9 (GMM) Giedo van der Garde will return to the cockpit of a GP2 car this week. The Dutchman, who debuted for Caterham in 2013, spent last year as Sauber's reserve and was […]
  • 18/03/2015 Van der Garde camp set to outline Sauber deal Mar.18 (GMM) The Giedo van der Garde camp is set to issue details of the compensation package agreed with Sauber. The battle between the Dutch driver and his backers and the struggling […]
  • 17/03/2015 EUR 15 million ended van der Garde saga – reports Mar.17 (GMM) Dutch media reports on Tuesday said Bernie Ecclestone was involved in negotiations that have ended the Giedo van der Garde saga. The morning newspaper De Volkskrant refers […]
  • 11/03/2015 Sauber appeals van der Garde ruling Mar.11 (GMM) Sauber is appealing a Melbourne court's ruling that Giedo van der Garde should race for the Swiss team this weekend. Earlier on Wednesday, a supreme court judge sided with […]
  • 28/03/2015 Sutil’s legal issues with Sauber ‘not resolved’ – manager Mar.28 (GMM) Adrian Sutil's legal dispute with Sauber is still ongoing. Late last year, although both the German driver as well as Giedo van der Garde had already signed contracts for […]