Sep.13 (GMM) Race organisers in Melbourne have added yet another three years to the contract of the Australian grand prix.
Last August, amid uncertainty over the future of the 20-year-old event at Albert Park, it was announced that a new deal through to 2020 had been signed.
“To know there are many more home grands prix to come is great,” Australian driver Daniel Ricciardo had said.
Now, it emerges that there will be even more races than that for Ricciardo to look forward to.
Last late November, the incumbent Liberal government in Victoria was voted out, and replaced by new Labor premier Daniel Andrews.
And it was announced on Sunday: “The Andrews Labor government has secured the formula one Australian grand prix in Melbourne until 2023.”
The news will completely end speculation that rival city Sydney might poach the race from Melbourne.
“Our competitors interstate have made no secret of their desire to steal it, but it is here to stay,” said premier Andrews. “I can assure Victorians Daniel Ricciardo won’t be racing over the Sydney Harbour Bridge any time soon.”
13/03/2015 Melbourne scoffs at Sydney Harbour Bridge bid Mar.13 (GMM) Melbourne officials have scoffed at reports Sydney is lining up as an alternative host of the Australian grand prix. Reports coinciding with Albert Park's twentieth […]
29/04/2015 2016 season to get late start in April Apr.29 (GMM) The F1 season will get off to a late start next year. Australian media reports say the Melbourne race, which is guaranteed the opening spot on the sport's annual calendar, […]
07/03/2015 Melbourne promised season opener, day race Mar.7 (GMM) Melbourne is guaranteed its place at the top of F1's annual calendar, it has emerged. Local media Fairfax has revealed Melbourne's new race contract until 2020 stipulates the […]
21/03/2019 Melbourne to proceed with full resurfacing Mar.21 (GMM) Organisers of the Australian grand prix look set to proceed with a full resurfacing of the Albert Park track in Melbourne. Last weekend for the 2019 season opener, Lewis […]
06/03/2015 Aus GP denies boycott threat Mar.6 (GMM) Australian grand prix organisers insist next weekend's 2015 season opener in Melbourne will not be boycotted. German reports had suggested teams had safety concerns about […]
12/01/2015 Melbourne not keen on earlier race start time Jan.12 (GMM) Race organisers are reluctant to shift the start time for the 2015 Australian grand prix. In response to Jules Bianchi's horror crash at Suzuka, the governing FIA vowed to […]
16/02/2017 Sydney eyeing F1 after Liberty Media buyout Feb.16 (GMM) Rival city Sydney could use F1's Liberty Media buyout to launch a bid to poach the Australian grand prix. That is the claim of Andrew Westacott, boss of the Melbourne race […]
29/03/2016 Gold Coast eyes future Australian GP Mar.29 (GMM) Queensland has flagged a potential bid to poach the Australian grand prix from rival state Victoria, the current host of the F1 season opener in Melbourne. In recent times, […]
17/03/2019 Top drivers don’t want Melbourne resurfacing Mar.17 (GMM) Championship rivals Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel think organisers of the Australian grand prix should not resurface the Albert Park track. Days ago, Australian Grand […]