Oct.12 (GMM) Richard Cregan wants a decision to be made quickly if next year’s Russian grand prix is going to be held under floodlights.
Earlier, we reported that Russian deputy prime minister Dmitry Kozak and Sochi race organiser Sergei Vorobyov had indicated the 2016 edition could be held at night.
That is despite the fact that officials had previously said switching to a night format could only be done for 2017 at the earliest.
“We had planned to do the first night grand prix of Russia in 2017,” agreed Richard Cregan, the international advisor to the race.
“I know that (Russian president) Vladimir Putin discussed this issue with Bernie Ecclestone” on Sunday, he told the Russian news agency Tass.
“Theoretically it is possible to organise it by the next grand prix, but it needs a decision to be made soon,” Cregan added.
Indeed, Sochi is moving to a May race date for 2016, leaving only about six months for organisers to install the floodlight technology.
Cregan agreed: “To prepare for a night grand prix takes about 40 weeks. But if the decision is made, we can speed up the process.”