F1 will ‘never’ stop open cockpits – Ecclestone

Oct.13 (GMM) Bernie Ecclestone says he does not back moves to put a cover or canopy over the drivers’ heads in formula one.

A spate of incidents in F1 and other categories, including the deaths of Jules Bianchi and Justin Wilson but also Carlos Sainz’s worrying brush with the barriers at Sochi, has ramped up momentum to end the days of fully open cockpits.

But when asked if traditional open-wheelers are now an endangered species, F1 supremo Ecclestone told the Russian news agency Tass: “No, never.”

In fact, the 84-year-old Briton suggested that danger is an integral part of the ‘show’.

“It is a dangerous sport,” Ecclestone insisted. “Nobody wants to see people killed or hurt (but) people like to go to the circus and see the high-wire act. It is dangerous.

“They do not want to see the guy fall, but it could happen,” he explained.

Related News

  • 20/10/2015 Montoya opposed to covering cockpits Oct.20 (GMM) Juan Pablo Montoya says he is opposed to the idea of covering the cockpits of open-wheel racing cars. Recent deaths in formula one (Jules Bianchi) and Indycar (Justin […]
  • 04/09/2015 F1 drivers argue for closed cockpits Sep.4 (GMM) Among the F1 drivers, support is growing for the potential introduction of closed or covered cockpits. Jules Bianchi and Indycar's Justin Wilson were the latest head […]
  • 02/02/2016 Teammate Chilton ‘cannot watch’ Bianchi footage Feb.2 (GMM) Despite two recent tragedies, former F1 driver Max Chilton is pressing ahead with his career in motor racing. Chilton was the late Jules Bianchi's teammate at Marussia when […]
  • 27/05/2016 Legal action ‘wrong path’ for Bianchi family – Stewart May 27 (GMM) F1 legend Sir Jackie Stewart has questioned the Bianchi family's decision to sue the sport over the death of their son. 25-year-old Jules Bianchi died last year as a result […]
  • 25/08/2015 Former F1 driver Wilson dies Aug.25 (GMM) Former Minardi and Jaguar driver Justin Wilson has died, one day after a horror incident during an Indycar race. The 37-year-old Briton, who raced in formula one in 2003 […]
  • 24/02/2015 Mercedes promises ‘halo’ for cockpit safety Feb.24 (GMM) Reigning champions Mercedes have proposed a new solution to the ever-present problem of cockpit safety in formula one. Canopies and roll-cages have been discussed at length […]
  • 26/08/2015 F1 to test cockpit-‘halo’ idea in September Aug.26 (GMM) The death of Justin Wilson, mere weeks after F1's first race fatality since 1994, has put the spotlight back on cockpit protection. Before the Jules Bianchi and Wilson […]
  • 02/06/2016 Drivers ‘afraid’ to criticise F1 over Bianchi death Jun.2 (GMM) F1 drivers are afraid to speak publicly about mistakes made by the sport's authorities that led to the crash and subsequent death of Jules Bianchi. That is the claim of […]
  • 17/01/2015 2015 hosts rule out F1 night races Jan.17 (GMM) Two F1 hosts have ruled out switching to a night race format for 2015. Malaysia has been under consistent pressure in recent years from Bernie Ecclestone to switch to a […]
  • 03/05/2017 Ecclestone happy with Ferrari-Mercedes fight May 3 (GMM) Former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the best thing about the sport's new era is that there is finally a fight at the front. Invited as a guest of the respective […]