McLaren-Honda can find ‘seconds’ this winter – Boullier
Dec.23 (GMM) Eric Boullier says it is possible McLaren-Honda’s leap over the winter will amount to multiple seconds per lap.
It was Fernando Alonso who made the original claim that, after a disastrous 2015, finding a whopping 2.5 seconds between now and next season is “realistic”.
Many, however, think the Spaniard was simply issuing a veiled warning to McLaren that unless the team makes big progress next year, he may reconsider his commitment to the struggling Anglo-Japanese collaboration.
When asked about Alonso’s staggering claim about a 2.5 second per lap leap in 2016, boss Boullier told the Czech portal f1news.cz: “Nothing is for sure or guaranteed.
“But we know why we were not competitive this year.
“This new PU (power unit) technology is great, but it needs to mature. When you can’t deploy all your electrical power throughout the lap, you lose seconds rather than tenths.
“So if we can fix this issue plus a few others, we will be able to recover a couple of seconds in term of performance,” the Frenchman added.
Woking based McLaren made a lot of noise last winter about its self-proclaimed ‘size zero’ car, and Boullier hints that the same ultra-compact philosophy will be kept for 2016.
“I can just tell you that it will be an evolution of the (MP4-)30 and that the car performance is already a step forward,” he said. “For the rest, you will have to wait for the car launch.”
02/05/2017 Honda engine has ‘all disadvantages’ – Boullier May 2 (GMM) It is dark days at McLaren, with boss Eric Boullier insisting that Honda has to already get to work on its engine for 2018.
But the Frenchman said Fernando Alonso not even […]
04/06/2015 Honda still targeting podium in 2015 Jun.4 (GMM) Honda still has its sights on the podium in 2015. After a highly unreliable and uncompetitive start, the new works collaboration with McLaren netted its first points last […]
23/06/2017 Alonso unenthused over Honda upgrade Jun.23 (GMM) Fernando Alonso does not sound enthused with the news Honda has brought an upgrade for its hapless power unit to Baku.
Sources say the improvement is somewhere between 12 […]
01/03/2017 Drivers ‘less important’ in 2017 – Alonso Mar.1 (GMM) Fernando Alonso has played down hopes the 2017 rules will put the skill of the driver right back in charge in formula one.
In fact, whilst hailing the fact the new cars are […]
01/03/2017 McLaren ‘sticking with plan’ – Vandoorne Mar.1 (GMM) Stoffel Vandoorne says he has not been told if McLaren will modify its test programme in light of the problems struck so far.
As the Barcelona test began and Fernando Alonso […]
08/07/2016 Honda takes engine upgrade to Silverstone Jul.8 (GMM) Honda has brought an updated engine to the British grand prix.
McLaren-Honda Fernando Alonso said the improvements are related to the Japanese power unit's internal […]
08/04/2017 No 2017 engine for Sauber this year – boss Apr.8 (GMM) Sauber boss Monisha Kaltenborn has played down rumours the Swiss team could switch to Ferrari's 2017-spec engine mid-season.
Amid a struggle to merely survive financially […]