Combining F1 with DTM to be ‘hard’ – Ocon

Feb.15 (GMM) Esteban Ocon has moved into pole position for a future in formula one.

As reigning GP3 champion, the highly rated French teenager will be loaned by Mercedes to be third driver at the new Renault works team in 2016.

He will combine the role with DTM, reportedly replacing the German touring car series’ new champion Pascal Wehrlein, who also with strong Mercedes backing is moving into F1 with Manor in 2016.

“It will be a full year and a great challenge with much to learn,” Ocon, 19, is quoted by Speed Week.

“It is not easy to combine DTM with F1 — it’s going to be hard. But I’m here to master it,” he added.

Asked if successfully following the lead of his predecessor Wehrlein is the goal, Ocon answered: “As a young driver it is also the goal to get into F1.

“But at the moment I am very happy to be in DTM. It is a fantastic opportunity for me,” he added.

Wehrlein, who at the age of 21 is now a 2016 rookie with Manor, said winning in DTM was the perfect preparation for making the big step to F1.

“I’m proud of what I have achieved,” said the youngest ever DTM champion. “Last year was very important.

“Who knows if I would have got this chance without winning the title,” he told the German newspaper Bild. “But of course I also had to be good at the (F1) tests.

“I don’t bring any (personal) money. Defending the DTM title would have been nice this year, but the big goal was formula one,” Wehrlein added.

Related News

  • 10/08/2016 Ocon replaces Haryanto at Manor – confirmed Aug.10 (GMM) Reports that Esteban Ocon will replace Rio Haryanto at Manor were confirmed on Wednesday morning. France's Auto Hebdo had reported that the 19-year-old, Mercedes-backed […]
  • 19/03/2018 Ousted Wehrlein left with ‘weird feeling’ Mar.19 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein admits it's a "weird feeling" to be left on the sidelines as the 2018 season begins. The Mercedes-backed German drove for Manor and Sauber in 2016 and 2017 […]
  • 19/05/2016 Wehrlein pushing to advance F1 career May 19 (GMM) Pascal Wehrlein says he was more than happy to step in at the last minute and test the championship-leading Mercedes on Wednesday. The German marque turned heads early on […]
  • 14/07/2016 Candidates queue up for Palmer’s seat Jul.14 (GMM) Jolyon Palmer may face a struggle to hang onto his Renault seat beyond 2016. That's because the potential suitors are queuing at the door, including Stoffel Vandoorne and […]
  • 16/10/2015 Wehrlein to meet Wolff to discuss F1 future Oct.16 (GMM) Two important meetings that will determine Pascal Wehrlein's future in formula one are now looming. The first is this weekend at Hockenheim, where the young German will blow […]
  • 08/09/2016 Ocon seems destined for Renault seat Sep.8 (GMM) Esteban Ocon's future at Renault appears all but guaranteed. The French works team has reportedly told Kevin Magnussen that a decision about the 2017 driver lineup is now […]
  • 10/08/2016 Ocon poised to replace Haryanto – report Aug.10 (GMM) Esteban Ocon appears set to emerge from the summer break as F1's newest teenage rookie. Auto Hebdo, a French magazine, claims the Mercedes-backed 19-year-old has got the […]
  • 03/08/2016 Wolff urges Renault to sign Ocon Aug.3 (GMM) Esteban Ocon looks set to be the next teenage charger to make his mark in formula one. Backed by Mercedes, the Frenchman is on loan to Renault this year as reserve and […]
  • 23/01/2017 Doctors sideline Wehrlein after rollover crash Jan.23 (GMM) One month before winter testing begins, Pascal Wehrlein was sidelined by doctors following a scary crash at the annual Race of Champions event. Held this year in Miami, the […]
  • 18/03/2016 Magnussen backs Friday outings for Ocon Mar.18 (GMM) Kevin Magnussen has backed Renault's decision to give new third driver Esteban Ocon some Friday practice outings in 2016. Ocon, the 19-year-old reigning GP3 champion, is 'on […]