Feb.22 (GMM) Force India has avoided repeating the crisis of last winter.
A year ago, the Silverstone based team’s early campaign was derailed by financial problems, reportedly as suppliers refused to release work due to unpaid bills.
“Because of what happened with Caterham and Marussia, some suppliers tightened the thumbscrews,” sporting director Otmar Szafnauer told Auto Motor und Sport.
But as the 2016 car was revealed and debuted on time in Barcelona on Monday, it became clear that those troubles are over for now.
“We have done a better job of having the money available at the right time, even though our budget is similar to last year,” Szafnauer said.
Another reason for Force India’s better preparation for 2016 is that, for the first time, the team has manufactured its chassis fully in-house.
Money, however, is obviously still tight, as Force India has accepted the cheques of development driver Alfonso Celis rather than allowing Nico Hulkenberg or Sergio Perez give the VJM09 its track debut on Monday.
“Of course it’s not ideal,” Hulkenberg admitted, “but today is only the first day and the real work will be done later.
“The second day hurts more but it was a decision of the team that I have to accept and cope with.”
Mexican Perez agrees, smiling: “I hear the forecast is better for tomorrow.”
Celis, a Mexican teen, has also been promised seven Friday practice sessions this year.
Asked if he and Perez will alternate giving up their cockpits, Hulkenberg confirmed: “Yes, that’s the plan. But I’ve had to give my car to another driver on Fridays in the past and it was not a big deal.”
29/08/2017 Force India not ruling out driver change Aug.29 (GMM) Force India is not ruling out making a change to its driver lineup for 2018. Earlier, although Sergio Perez is yet to commit to the Silverstone based team beyond this year, […]
09/03/2017 Perez confirms winter struggle for Force India Mar.9 (GMM) Sergio Perez has admitted Force India is struggling through the 2017 pre-season. Fourth overall last year, winter testing for the small Silverstone based outfit has been […]
06/10/2016 Force India denies losing Hulkenberg to Renault Oct.6 (GMM) Force India team figures have played down suggestions they may lose Nico Hulkenberg to a rival team. The Silverstone based outfit has finally ended rumours that Sergio Perez […]
29/09/2016 Now Hulkenberg linked with Force India exit Sep.29 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg on Thursday reacted with surprise to rumours linking him with a surprise switch to Renault. And he is not the only Force India driver linked with Renault for […]
02/03/2015 Early points unlikely for Force India – Perez Mar.2 (GMM) Force India's drivers are expecting a difficult start to the 2015 season. The Silverstone based team ended last year on a competitive high, not far behind another similarly […]
18/06/2015 Force India ‘B’ car only half finished Jun.18 (GMM) Force India has travelled to Austria with only half the parts for its 'B' car. Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez will therefore use the less competitive, 'old' car once again […]
22/05/2015 Force India ‘B’ car failed crash test – report May 22 (GMM) The debut of Force India's much-needed 'B' car in Austria is now in doubt. Earlier, the struggling Silverstone based team's 2015 car was delayed over the winter due to […]
22/08/2018 Perez says rescued Force India ‘best option’ Aug.22 (GMM) Force India has only slipped in 2018 because of its financial problems. That is the claim of Sergio Perez, who is giving strong hints that notwithstanding the takeover by a […]
22/08/2017 Force India wants imminent Perez deal Aug.22 (GMM) A new Force India deal for Sergio Perez could now be imminent. The Mexican flirted with a move to Renault for 2017 but instead re-committed to Force India. He said he is […]
08/05/2015 Hulkenberg denies losing interest in F1 May 8 (GMM) Nico Hulkenberg has played down suggestions he is losing interest in formula one. "I enjoy every moment," he told the German news agency DPA. However, the German obviously […]